Dealing directly with Council Housing Benefits Office, Scotland

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dealing directly with Council Housing Benefits Office, Scotland


    My wife is in a difficult situation. She rents a property to her daughter via an agency and all she gets is the basic 1 person under-35 amount of LHA. However, Daughter now has a partner and baby so as we understand it, she is entitled to a helluva lot more. The problem is that mother and daughter have a stormy relationship mostly because daughter has a mental health condition that gets her angry with her own shadow. Daughter is refusing to tell council (Moray) that she now has more people in the house, just to spite mum. Mum can't/won't evict daughter with a newborn baby.

    Daughter pays on time (mostly) so my wife can't use that as grounds for appealing to the council for direct payment, of the correct amount.

    Any suggestions ?

    Thanks in anticipation,


    Congratulations on new baby:

    Assuming this is a normal "commercial" rental arrangement and the place wasn't bought just to rent to daughter. Does council know landlord is close relative? Normally they'd investigate closely and be very cautious in paying anything (see...
    - if there is any doubt strongly suggest wife declares everything to council now to avoid possible painful investigations later. Apologies if that's too blunt.

    Does partner have any income (cash-in-claw or PAYE)?? If so her benefits might go down.

    a) Never rent to family or friends: This is a classic example of why not, sadly.
    b) Instruct agent to follow their normal process over rent arrears (Notice to quit G12 can be served if only 1p is underpaid for just 1 day) & inspections over who else is living there, get copies of reports.

    Difficult: Your wife either has on-going problems with that rental or loses contact with daughter & granddaughter.

    Is the most recent tenancy before 1/12/2017?

    Slàinte mhath!

    NB Is this 1-person place small & might it be overcrowded (legal definition)? That's a criminal offence for landlords, plus possible fines,
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Thank you !

      We believe the council are aware, since her daughter says she told them. (But she's what they call an 'unreliable witness'). Nevertheless, it is set up with an agency, with a tenancy agreement drafted by them.

      Their finances are very murky as we can never get straight answers, but his benefits shouldn't impact LHA as I understand it.

      We had our hand forced by circumstances into letting property to her and otherwise would have kicked her out long ago.

      It's a 2 bedroom house, inspected regularly.



        So you expect to receive even more public largesse due to your daughter now having a partner and child?

        I think you can see why the council aren't happy to allow this, can't you?


          Leaving aside that she's not my daughter, the council will support such arrangements when they are on a commercial basis. Indeed, there appears to be a fund to help bridge the gap between the housing benefit limit and a commercial rent. Those are not my rules.

          Turning it round, (leaving aside the moral difficulty) the alternative is that my wife chucks out her daughter and rents at a commercial level so she can cover her mortgage. That would cost the council a LOT more, not only in rent, but increased social work involvement.. So my wife is currently supporting the council to the tune of a couple of hundred per month at least.


            Oh please, she's supporting daughter.
            I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


              Yes, of course she is. At significant personal and financial cost. It's what parents do.

              If you have an accountant, let's say he couldn't be @rsed claiming some business expenses for you. At least you can change your accountant.


                I don't want to be in the 'firing line' but a couple of commentators are being unduly harsh on the property owner. They wanted to help their daughter and one way or another found her a place to live in. Assuming this is a 'arms length' deal. Despite it being a 2 bed house, the LHA rate will only fund an under 35 year of age shared house rate, i.e. a single room in a shared house HMO. If daughter now has partner and child, the LHA rate will support the higher rent for the 2 bedroomed property. At a guess, like peterd1 says, the difference could be £200 a month. At no cost to the daughter as she is entitled to the extra benefit. By the way peterd1, if your stepdaughter has a genuine mental health issue, then she may qualify to be in what is known a 'support group' where the under 35 rule does not apply. Having witnessed other cases of mental health problems, I can see it is a moral dilemma and wish you luck resolving it.


                  Some parents "support" their kids by doing all they can to ensure they stand on their own 2 feet.

                  Artful, father of 3 hard-working sons (and thus very privileged etc etc)

                  Best wishes to all
                  I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


                    An update, in case anyone finds themselves in a similar position. My wife and daughter went to the Housing Office to discuss the situation and the jobsworth there couldn’t have been more rude if she’d put her jackboot up my step-daughter’s ****. My wife was quite shocked. So she issued an NTQ and when my stepdaughter took it in, another woman had a completely different approach and that afternoon, to nobody’s surprise, contacted my stepdaughter with an offer to increase the rent to a commercial rate. Such a pity that the Council’s inflexible approach caused so much pain in the meantime.


                    Latest Activity


                    • Holiday letting in Scotland
                      My wife’s best friend lives in Inverness and we visit them a couple of times per year.

                      We’ve fallen in love with the Highlands and, in particular, the Cairngorms NP. We tend to visit Aviemore every time we go up there and I’ve been very impressed with how well used it is all year...
                      20-08-2018, 14:13 PM
                    • Reply to Holiday letting in Scotland
                      Thanks for the advice.

                      Yes, any agent would need to be both local and experienced in this sort of thing.

                      So, from what you’re saying, someone could book to take it on for a week or two but then stay as long as they want provided they continued to pay the rent?

                      21-08-2018, 06:53 AM
                    • Reply to Holiday letting in Scotland
                      Aye, fabulous country (**). Be aware if someone takes the holiday let but actually resides there then it is, regardless of paperwork, a PRT new form Scottish tenancy with tenant having right to give notice after 28 days, landlord may only evict for breach of tenancy (eg not paying rent).

                      20-08-2018, 14:16 PM
                    • Scottish short assured tenancy question
                      This is a duplicate post of one I posted earlier in the wrong section.....
                      I granted a short assured tenancy in February 2017 for a 12 month duration. The tenancy was continued by tacit relocation in February 2018 on the same terms and conditions.
                      At present, the tenant has indicated that...
                      20-08-2018, 13:30 PM
                    • Reply to Scottish short assured tenancy question
                      Rent increase form (try to avoid needing this ) is AT1(L) - see

                      SaT continues as does tacit relocation - both forever.
                      20-08-2018, 13:50 PM
                    • Factors
                      My flat is in a block of 8, with 7 owners paying their share of factor's bills. The 8th hasn't paid in years so the factor went to court and got a lein against him. Means that when he sells up, they get their money. Last month (we get monthly bills), the factor shared the bill between 7 owners ie, we...
                      12-07-2018, 07:57 AM
                    • Reply to Factors
                      If the factor has a decree and the property concerned is rented by the owner the factors could obtain a rent arrestment order and serve it on the tenant.
                      This will require the tenant to pay rental monies to the sheriff officers till the debt is cleared, the tenant also cannot be evicted for rent...
                      18-08-2018, 09:28 AM
                    • Reply to Factors
                      They said either the 7 pay up or they're leaving. I don't want the building to be without a factor so guess I need to pay up
                      16-08-2018, 18:24 PM
                    • Advice needed
                      So my joyfull rented house is still falling apart.
                      the boiler is kaput an old back boiler I have 2 oil filled heaters and emersion now. The fail sheet has all fails apart from the co2 detector I bought. 7 months since last been able to use gas.
                      The window lock in bedroom is still knackered....
                      13-08-2018, 14:57 PM
                    • Correct procedure for eviction

                      I have been living overseas and renting out my property for 4 years. I am returning to Scotland and wish to live in my property. The lease expires in October 2018 and I think it's an assured tenancy given it commenced prior to the changes in December 2017.

                      I want to be fair...
                      12-08-2018, 03:35 AM