Returning a deposit advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning a deposit advice

Hi, new here, and would love some help with this.

I have a deposit from my lodger. Our signed agreement says she has to give me a month's notice before leaving.

On the 11th of December, she told me that she was leaving on the 24th of December - as of today the 29th, she still has a few possessions in the room and going back and forth, and the room has not particularly been cleaned at all, but there is no real damage, just a lack of care, so I am annoyed but there is no reason to hold part deposit for this. Keys to the house are still in her possession, which I think right because she has paid the whole of December anyway.

However, according to the one month's notice date (I have an email confirming she gave verbal notice on the 11th), her rent expires on the 9th of January. Am I allowed to keep those days of rent (from the 1st to the 9th of January) from her deposit, even if she vacates the room earlier?

I want to be fair, although finding a new lodger under Christmas is not proving easy - our original contract was for a year, but there was the option (for both of us) of giving a month's notice before that.

Thanks for your advice!

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X