HMO council mandating improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMO council mandating improvements

We have managed an HMO in Scotland for 7 years and had the licence renewed last October. We had an EICR which listed 5 code 3 faults (not adhering to more modern regulations but not dangerous). At that time, the HMO inspector requested that our electrician confirm in writing that in his opinion that these faults were not dangerous, which we did. More recently, after a change in property ownership, we have had to refresh the HMO licence in the name of the new owner. As the EICR was still in force, it was submitted. This time, the inspector said that changes to the electrical system will have to made due to the number of c3 codes listed. My question is whether the HMO team can mandate these improvements be made even when they have been deemed not to be dangerous? We were planning on upgrading the electrical system before the next EICR is due anyway, but wondered about the legality of the council mandating changes especially when they have previously not insisted upon this.

It's an employment scheme for Scottish electricians. Haven't you grasped that yet?

Comment

Def feels like not only the Council but also local tradesmen benefit from unnecessary repairs being mandated!

Comment

Get a grip yous, the sparky is telling you it's safe and ok, so isn't trying to create work for himself.
        If you had experience of the typical level and nature of faults found during a first EICR on rental properties, you would appreciate it is beneficial for everyone.
        Code 3 = improvement recommended, and isn't necessarily "not adhering to more modern regulations"
        Councils issuing a license can make up and implement anything they want - until challenged. Less experienced members of the teams may tend to err on the (over?) cautious side. You could ask for justification of their position as a starting point....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• PRT print out.
          Raine
          Hi, I'm just looking at a PRT contract, constructed via the Scottish website, to be printed and it amounts to 81 pages long. So printing two copies is a long 180+ pages printing session. Is this the norm for the majority of ye guys? Thanks.
          19-07-2018, 14:17 PM
        • Factors
          fixerupper
          My flat is in a block of 8, with 7 owners paying their share of factor's bills. The 8th hasn't paid in years so the factor went to court and got a lein against him. Means that when he sells up, they get their money. Last month (we get monthly bills), the factor shared the bill between 7 owners ie, we...
          12-07-2018, 07:57 AM
        • Reply to Factors
          theartfullodger
          When you wrote to them raising the matter what did you get in reply?

Contact the First Tier Tribunal, start with their website
          12-07-2018, 11:06 AM
        • End of 6 monthly Winter Lets?
          arealhighlander
          With the change at the end of last year to Private Residential Tenancy, does this mean that people will no longer be able to rent their holiday home out for 6 months as a winter let and then kick the tenant back out once tourist season begins again?

We have a lot of holiday homes in NW...
          02-07-2018, 19:08 PM
        • Reply to End of 6 monthly Winter Lets?
          Sandi
          The new PRT does not have an end date.

So you can’t control when the tenancy ends however if you have a person who only wants to stay for six months then there’s no reason why you cannot go ahead you just can’t force them to move if they change their mind and want to stay longer.
          11-07-2018, 10:45 AM
        • Leaving tenant
          rty4858
          Hello,

Hoping somebody can help me with this (I'm the landlord in this scenario):

Tenant A and Tenant B both signed the same SAT agreement, in 2016, to lease a property. This tenancy agreement has never been ended by either the tenants or myself, so has been continuing on...
          10-07-2018, 14:37 PM
        • Reply to Leaving tenant
          rty4858
          Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, as I was writing that post it was making more and more sense to me to leave things just as they are.

Cheers again for the reply.
          10-07-2018, 15:00 PM
        • Reply to Leaving tenant
          theartfullodger
          In theory BOTH A & B would need to give you written authority to end tenancy.

But if you grant a new tenancy (to anyone !) it will no longer be an SaT but a PRT so no option to end the tenancy for no reason, only on grounds.

I'd do nothing. Currently you have two people...
          10-07-2018, 14:46 PM
        • Illegal/fraudalent subletting situation
          Tadeusz1
          Saw an advert on Gumtree.

Was advised I would bhe living with a live in landlord, thereby making me a lodger or "excluded occupier".

I signed a tenancy agreement and applied for housing benefit. Turns out that the gentleman who gave me the tenancy agreement (and which...
          07-07-2018, 09:16 AM
        • Reply to Illegal/fraudalent subletting situation
          theartfullodger
          As it's Scotland any lodger is almost certainly a ”common law tenant" and a Sherrif court decree is needed to evict
          08-07-2018, 15:16 PM
        Working...
        X