Soundproofing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soundproofing

I live in a bottom floor flat (which I own) with one flat above. The owner recently moved out the flat above and is now renting it out long term. Before the current tennant moved in laminated flooring was put down. Now I can hear everything that goes on in the above flat. I don’t think the person is noisy just there is a lack of sound proofing and this is causing lack of sleep and disruption when trying to unwind after a hard day at work. Does the landlord for the above property have to make sure that they sound proof the flat for the comfort of others as it’s becoming unbearable?

Step 1: tell us what your lease says

Comment

I own my property so I don’t have a lease. It’s upstairs that is the rented accommodation.

Comment

It's not that kind of lease. You will have some sort of other lease between you and the freeholder (whatever that entity is). If not you have bigger problems.

Comment

Sorry. I’m not up to speed. Who would the freeholder be? It’s not a block of flats it’s a 2 storey building just with an upper and lower flat.

Comment

This is in Scotland, so the legal framework is different. (They way the forum works is that can ask to see all recent threads, and, if you don't look carefully, you won't notice it is in the Scottish law part.)

Comment

Ahh.. I don't know Scotland or how that differs. But regardless do you not have anything which says who is responsible for insurance of the building, what happens when the roof collapses, who paints the outside?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X