Are polystyrene ceiling tiles unlawful?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are polystyrene ceiling tiles unlawful?

I have just purchased a property which has foam ceiling tiles throughout the house. Do they need to be removed or can they be left inside the property?

Many Thanks

Originally posted by Marky T View Post
    I have just purchased a property which has foam ceiling tiles throughout the house. Do they need to be removed or can they be left inside the property?

Many Thanks
    I have heard that they are a fire risk.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      I have heard that they are a fire risk.
      ...but that wouldn't make them illegal; or would it? Unless the property is an HMO, perhaps.

I have never heard that polystyrene ceiling tiles are illegal. That doesn't mean they're not, though.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pcwilkins View Post
        ...but that wouldn't make them illegal; or would it? Unless the property is an HMO, perhaps.

I have never heard that polystyrene ceiling tiles are illegal. That doesn't mean they're not, though.

Peter
        Probably not unlawful- or else selling/fitting would be unlawful too.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by Marky T View Post

Many Thanks
          There is no law saying that you cannot have these in a rental property, except perhaps a HMO. However they are an EXTREME RISK, ( Just ask your local fire prevention officer! )

REMOVE THEM!

Comment

The property is going to be used as a single dwelling. I understand that they are illegal in HMO's.

Comment

Never mind whether they're illegal, they're just SO UGLY, and incredibly 70s!

You could possibly find that the cost expended in getting rid of the things can be set off (in your head, at least) by the reduction in time to get the property let.

Comment

I've taken a fire warden course and seen footage of them in a fire, dropping from the ceiling in balls of flame. Nasty.

Comment

Remember the old public information film from the '70's? I do! It said something like "polystyrene ceiling tiles...oh yes don't they look great! But Ted here has gone and painted them....and now they are a FIRE RISK!"

In other words, check to se if they have been painted.

Comment

Polystyrene ceiling tiles - Illegal?

Hi

Does a Landlord have a legal obligation to remove polystyrene ceiling tiles in a bedroom or is it just ggod practise to?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mathy View Post
                      Hi

Does a Landlord have a legal obligation to remove polystyrene ceiling tiles in a bedroom or is it just ggod practise to?

Thanks
                      Just good practise

Comment

Thanks - seems bad to me - should be a legal obligation for the Landlord to remove them!

Comment

Originally posted by mathy View Post
                          Thanks - seems bad to me - should be a legal obligation for the Landlord to remove them!
                          Hey - Hold on- PLEASE don't take my word as gospel and verse, I gave the answer based on my research just over a year ago. It may have changed since then (but doubt it)

As a suggestion though, why not mention to your Landlord that it is a serious danger, can he remove them? failing that, ask him permission for you to remove them (asking if he would cover decoration costs involved)

Comment

I believe that the danger is in case of fire; the tiles melt hot goo onto you. Wonder who ever thought that they were A Good Idea?
                            When I bought my house, removing them from the dining-room ceiling was one of my first steps.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                              I believe that the danger is in case of fire; the tiles melt hot goo onto you.
                              When I bought my house, removing them from the dining-room ceiling was one of my first steps.
                              Its also the smoke & fumes the tiles produce
                              (Fire Brigade don't like them at all !)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X