Tenants faulty Carbon Monoxide alarm- called emergency services and gas turned off.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had tenants telephone me to let me know a light bulb had stopped working. They were established renters of many years (and previous landlords) but they asked me what they should do..........!

Comment

Tempting to tell them aint it? !!

Comment

My wife rang me at 3am whilst I was on a business trip because the CO alarm in our house was going off. I told her to take it off the wall, take it into the back garden and see if it was still going off.
        She ripped it off the wall, and once outside it was still going off. I therefore conclude that it is not a CO problem. and diagnosed it as a knackered CO alarm, and she removed the batteries and went back to bed.
        Turns out that it states clearly that you need to maintain it by regularly using the vaccum cleaner on it. 4 years later it still works fine.
        Although I did have to repair the wall paper due to her ham fisted removal.

Comment

Originally posted by Logical.Lean View Post
          Turns out that it states clearly that you need to maintain it by regularly using the vaccum cleaner on it. 4 years later it still works fine.
          Although I did have to repair the wall paper due to her ham fisted removal.
          Yes, but in fact the detectors on CO alarms only work properly for between 2 years and 7 years (depending on the make) regardless of whether the test button says it is working. So after 4 or 5 years I would chuck it out anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
            in fact the detectors on CO alarms only work properly for between 2 years and 7 years (depending on the make)
            if they're wired into the mains?

To the OP, I get the need for some kind of record; you can record telephone conversations on your mobile very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymore View Post
              I had tenants telephone me to let me know a light bulb had stopped working. They were established renters of many years (and previous landlords) but they asked me what they should do..........!
              On that note I had tenants ring to tell me that the satellite cable didnt work as a normal tv aerial.... Hard to know how to politely respond!

Comment

Originally posted by tatemono View Post
                if they're wired into the mains?
                I think not. It is the detector itself that has a limited lifespan (and the little test button does not actually test that the detector component works despite what folk might think - that only tests the battery, horn and circuitry)
                Some of the newer detectors produce a so called "end of life" warning.

(Smoke alarms by contrast do not have the same sort of limited lifespan of the key component)

Comment

Now that the gas supply is turned off, I / we assume the CO meter no longer beeps ?

Me, I would text them to say you have ordered a gas check, and they will be round on such and such a day, and if they are not at home, you will be entering with your own keys, as this is an emergency, ( possible gas leak and no gas being able to be used ).

Also take with you a new, cheap CO meter, and stick it in the hall, or where ever it is deemed to go. ( Follow the instructions for first use - some have plastic pull out bits that either, allow you to set it up once batteries are connected, or, automatically energise when plastic is pulled out.)

Check your new one with theirs once the gas is on, and if theirs is still bleeping, say you will charge them for the cost of all this.
                  You may even think of not charging them ( but don't tell them ), just give the required notice that you are increasing the rent to the standard for the area, in any event.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X