Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blind Cords and safety

Hi everyone,

Please can I have clear advice or can someone help me find the 'law' regarding whether I have to invest in modifications to my blind cords.

I am fed up with quangos and associations trying to shove stuff at me, without telling me where I can read up on the real wording of 'the law'.

I rent a property with children in the family, none of them are under 8 years old, and the letting agent says I need to fit cleats or modify the blind cords!

I'm listening out for your best contributions please?

The "law" is that any blinds installed since 2014 have to be "safe by design", which means they aren't a hanging hazard.
    It doesn't matter who lives in the property, and this applies to all blinds everywhere, not just in rented properties.

So, strictly speaking, the agent is not correct about the legal position.
    However, as a landlord, you have a duty of care to your tenants with regard to their safety (which is nice and vague).
    I'd fit the cleats myself, or replace the blinds with new ones/curtains.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

This is soem text from the AIIC approved leaflet I usually send to any LL/LA who have properties with overlong, unconstrained blind cords.

As of 1st October 2014 all pull cords for all blinds (whether old or newly fitted) must be 1.5m from the floor to avoid posing a health and safety issue. Any blind that has cords that can form a loop must have either a small safety bracket or cleat hook on the wall to enable the cords to be secured/taut, with no ‘give’ to pose a possible choking problem.

All Inventory Clerks should now make a note on all jobs if the cords are overlong and if there is no securing ‘mechanism’ (i.e. ‘no cleat or ‘no securing bracket’ etc.). This must be treated the same way as fire labels on furniture now, just note the presence or not of a safety fixing for the cord and if cords are over long.

It is now illegal to supply or professionally install an internal window blind which does not comply with the child safety requirements of :- BS EN 13120:2009 + A1:2014

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X