Fire safety for non-HMOs. What do YOU do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire safety for non-HMOs. What do YOU do?

HMO regs ( applicable to all tenacies of 3 or more people who are not related)are very clear on what fire precautions need to be taken.

I am interested what landlords/agents are currently providing for non-hmo tenants. My research seems to suggest that providing a fire blanket and extingisher in the kitchen and a smoke detector on each level is satisfactory.

Landlords & Agents, do you do this? If not, why not? Tenants can contribute to this post with their own experiences.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

I thought to qualify as an HMO it also had to be on three or more floors no? That is what the Council told me just after the law came in, has it changed? I have 4 tenants in a house on 2 floors with shared amenities (friends) and no locks on the doors and thought that didn't qualify.

Dave

Comment

It is a HMO but does not require a Mandatory licence. All the HMO regs still apply. The council are only likely to hassle you if an incident happens or your tenants complain. Then they could serve you a notice to upgrade to all the fire specifications etc., overcrowding issues, management issues etc

Anyway...what fire precautions do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
        Then they could serve you a notice to upgrade to all the fire specifications etc., overcrowding issues, management issues etc
        Then it would be emptied as quickly as possible and placed straight on the market! The upgrades would cost tens of thousands.

I use smoke alarms on both floors, fire extinguishers on both floors and in kitchen, fire blanket, windows that will open wide enough to permit escape, fire doors on bedrooms and kitchen. I also make every tenant read a safety leaflet I have provided for them, I also insist they have no locks on their doors so they can't get locked in.

It is after all my property and I would like the damage kept to a minimum

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bludnok View Post
          I also make every tenant read a safety leaflet I have provided for them,
          What.......out loud?

Comment

Fortunately (not necessarily for me) all my properties are recently rewired, which means sufficient power outlets - a lot of trouble comes from overloading outlets.
            Heat (fire) detectors are now mandatory under B.Regs for kitchens, when rewiring I must say I've never put in extinguishers or blankets.
            Smoke detectors often seem to be a matter of "..how many do you want...let's put one there and one there, that seems about right" as far as electricians go. In fact, it's very important to get them sited properly (see B.Regs http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl..._ADB1_2006.pdf) to be useful. That's "useful" as in lifesaving, of course.

Comment

Fireproof ceilings, fireproof flooring, mains operated alarms, potentially basins in every bedroom, the list seems endless. It's on the website

Comment

Comment

Guys....Great discussion, but any ideas on what you consider a minimum in a non-hmo property also appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
                    Guys....Great discussion, but any ideas on what you consider a minimum in a non-hmo property also appreciated.
                    Surely it depends on the house.

Are we talking about people sharing a standard house or self contained units?

Comment

Originally posted by ah84 View Post
                      Surely it depends on the house.

Are we talking about people sharing a standard house or self contained units?
                      Whatever your personal experience is of.....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
                        daxu
                        Hi,
                        I have a one bed flat that is let out at the moment. I asked an electrician to change the fusebox to a consumer unit and asked him for a cost of changing my battery smoke alarm to a main conntected one.

What he told me is that I need two alarms, one smoke alarm and one heat alarm...
                        21-07-2017, 10:02 AM
                      • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
                        tatemono
                        on a side note... I'd be a rich man if I had a quid for every time a builder has mentioned CO2 detectors.
                        24-07-2017, 09:06 AM
                        MrShed
                        The law is pedantic, and therefore so should we be ...
                        24-07-2017, 08:33 AM
                        leaseholder64
                        Agreed. My use of open flue was wrong. The theory of the legislation is that the annual inspection and the well controlled nature of the fuel should mean that a problem is detected before it becomes dangerous, but there is no inspection regime for solid fuel.
                        23-07-2017, 22:57 PM
                        jjlandlord
                        Not to be pedantic but CO alarms are required in rooms where there is a solid-fuel appliance. So an open gas fire would not require one.
                        23-07-2017, 22:40 PM
                        Stef Cooke
                        Is this becoming 'a thing'?

I have had a run in with a, well, I don't know what he was, to be honest! Not an electrician, not a surveyor.. his card said something like "Property Inspection and Surveys" - so had assumed he was a clerk with some of the other possible certs added...
                        23-07-2017, 14:20 PM
                      • CP12 Question
                        rfph1
                        Sorry if this has been asked before, and sorry for posting rather than waiting to see what happens !

I have just had my gas appliances serviced, and safety inspection carried out (for a landlords gas safety certificate - CP12).

There was a fault which the engineer classified...
                        20-07-2017, 22:13 PM
                      • Reply to CP12 Question
                        MrShed
                        Just for interest - I once had a (personal, not BTL) house where there was a smell of gas near the meter. Called the gas company, instructed (obviously) to turn the gas off at the meter - smell continued.

Was told to leave the property IMMEDIATELY and they had someone there within 15 minutes....
                        21-07-2017, 15:45 PM
                        mariner
                        Don't 'think', do your own research. FB is a good place to start.

Battery operated alarms are fine for a non-HMO unless Council Registration is poss required. Suggest LL replaces batt alarms every 3 years, as detectors deteriorate. Mains powered alarms should replaced every 10 years...
                        21-07-2017, 15:18 PM
                        daxu
                        Many thanks, I think you guys are right
                        21-07-2017, 11:34 AM
                      Working...
                      X