HA annual gas service - 10 months or 12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderator2
    replied
    Five related threads have been merged.

Leave a comment:

• Hippogriff
    replied
    Originally posted by thedaughter View Post
    If we have it two months early, they will want it two months early next year, etc, etc.
    That assumption doesn't really follow to be fair.

But the much bigger question is really - "so what?" - now I read into your question that you might have issues with people coming around and doing stuff like this. But surely there's a coping mechanism, like you could be on a different floor or in a different room, or be out of the house at the time of the appointment? This is not intended to be stressful for you in any way - is it a good thing. You will obviously objectively realise that it is you that is causing the problem here and not the people who are trying to arrange a GSC... therefore the cause of your stress is actually yourself.

You want to say it's not convenient - that will cause you stress.
    You want to refuse entry - that will cause you stress.
    You want to get into a to-and-fro with the Housing Assoication - that will cause you stress.

Instead, just let the man in when they want and you can - hopefully - ease up on your amount of stress. You can prepare for it and handle it as best as you can. Best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    If you find such this stressful I am sorry.

Write (yes, WRITE!! - keep copy) to your landlord, the HA, stating you will of course agree to a gas safety inspection , but state the terms you will agree to it under (eg dates or time of day or you will be there or a HA rep must come or whatever...).

It is only required - for the landlord, not the tenant - every 12 months: However a wise tenant, IMHO, ensure one is done for his own safety...

Leave a comment:

• andybenw
    replied
    How can a gas safety check cause a lot of stress. Man comes in, does a few tests on gas appliances and goes? Going to the shops is more stress surely?

Leave a comment:

• thedaughter
    replied
    HA annual gas service - 10 months or 12?

We have an annual gas service every year. We rent from the local Housing Association. The company who have the contract have sent a letter wanting to do it Monday just gone (we said not convenient as it only arrived a few days before appointment date). Last year it was done on 29th July so I assumed by law it is valid for 12 months. The company are saying the HA need it done two months before. Due to health reasons we try to have it done as close to the 12 months as possible as it is a lot of stress. If we have it two months early, they will want it two months early next year, etc, etc. Do we have a legal require to have it done early or can we refuse entry and insist on 20th July which is what we wanted? Thanks. I apologise if this is in wrong category, I wasn't sure where to put it.

Leave a comment:

• Horsepig
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post

However it is very (very...) easy to bypass a meter
    It is, and although I've never seen it actually taking place in any premises I've visited, I've seen evidence of it having taken place after tenants have done a moonlight flit and tried to reconnect like nothing has happened.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    If it were me I would write (yes, WRITE!!!, keep copy) are rather direct letter outlining how I was saddened & disappointed that their operative appeared to lie about what was discussed, of course you are happy to arrange a mutually agreeable time but that one wasn't and may you have operatives name & an apology please & do they understand there are other fine utility suppliers out there...

However it is very (very...) easy to bypass a meter & the leccy companies are understandably careful about checking, and may have "been acting on information received". Clearly nothing dodgy happening in this case...

I got threatened with a court order after one (count 'em, o-n-e..) knock on door & aggrieved meter reader.. They apologised...

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    I think it depends on who your supplier is. By law, they should read your meter once every two years.

I submit my meter readings online every quarter, but I think my meters also get read every 6 months.

Leave a comment:

• thedaughter
    replied
    How often does your elec/gas supplier have to check ur meter etc

Someone just came to read the meter but we've already submitted it online. He said that he needs to come in anyway for an inspection but it's not even a year since he last inspected it. I said it's not convenient and he can rearranged He said he's putting it down as we refused access.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Can I suggest you have a word with the Tenant Services Authority who have a degree of control over social landlords. The law is slightly different in the Private Rental Sector and the TSA will know the rules relating to your parents tenancy.

Leave a comment:

• tacpot
    replied
    Your parents are not legally obliged to let them have access to the house to repeat the test. The landlord can demand access all they like, but your parents do not have to grant it.

However, the landlord may take a dim view of this, if they believe there is a safety issue - they don't want the house to burn down, and it might if there is a serious fault. But your point about them having waited 10 weeks is valid. They are not meeting their duty of care to your parents if they allow a serious fault to go unrepaired for so long.

You are not legally entitled to see the report, because the landlord commissioned (and paid for) the report. But there is no harm in asking and your request might well be granted. However, you are unlikely to be able to interpret the readings unless you are an electrician. There should however be a summary of the findings, including a list of any faults found. Don't let them fob you off with an excuse not to send it to you like "But you won't be able to understand it", I'd just say "I have a friend who is an electrican".

BTW It is also unlikely that the HO would be able to interpret the readings!

If you can get a copy of the report, you should look for any items that are listed as Code 1 faults. These are the most serious and represent a immediate danger, and should be fixed immediately. Code 2s are less serious fault, and should be fixed as soon as possible. Code 3 means they don't know what the problem is and need to investigate further. Code 4 means it does not comply with the regulations but it's not anything that needs to be fixed.

There is a website called www.electriciansforums.co.uk where you can get help to interpret what a Periodic Inspection Report is telling you. There is a Testing forum on the website where you should post your questions.

Good luck

tp

Leave a comment:

• thedaughter
    replied
    Can i request copy of Housing Association's electrical test

I have posted on here before about my Registered Social Landlord requesting a periodic electrical test. The test was carried out by their contractor 10 weeks ago. Last week I received a call from a housing officer to say they now want to send their own electrician to do the test again. I asked why and they couldn't supply details because the person who they want to carry out the test was on leave. Anyway, the HO called again today to say they wanted to make an appointment. When she called last week she said it was for a visual check but today she said they want to carry out the test again. If a qualified electrician has carried out the test (last week on the phone she said there were no health and safety issues and that the readings were within limits) today she said that it's borderline. The tenancy is my parents name but I am dealing with it because my mum has major health issues (suffers from anxiety and stress related illnesses). It causes her extreme distress to have someone in the house and I can't believe they want to put her through it all again. Why would they need to repeat the test, am I legally obliged to let them do it again given that I have allowed access for the first test. Also am I legally entitled to a copy of the original report, I'd like to see for myself what it says. I honestly thought because they hadn't contacted us in 10 weeks that there wouldn't be any major problems. At the moment I don't know what to do for the best. I am scared if I refuse they can cause problems as regards eviction or demanding access.

Leave a comment:

• thedaughter
    replied
    The electrician was happy to change the appointment, it's the HA that won't budge. They have said that if the appointment is not met they will pass it on to the Housing Management Team for their action but I don't even know what that is.

Leave a comment:

• Brb
    replied
    Unfortunately we are all at the mercy of trades ppl. It's completely normal to be given an all day appointment so a bonus that you've been made aware that it is an afternoon appointment.

If the appointment itself is inconvenient then you should ring them immediately to inform them of this and reschedule for a more convenient time. It is normal for HA agreements to stipulate that any missed appointments with trades ppl will incur a charge.

It may be worthwhile asking HA for details of the company doing the test and can negotiate between yourselves a more convenient appointment.

Leave a comment:

• thedaughter
    replied
    It's an electrics test but as I say we have been trying to find out the time of the appointment for over two weeks and they only told us on tuesday it's an afternoon appointment. We requested a morning appointment but they won't change it.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X