HA annual gas service - 10 months or 12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• westminster
    replied
    You can refuse (or agree) the appointment regardless of whether you're told about it in writing or not.

However, if you are persistently obstructive to LL gaining access for necessary repairs or inspections, then it is possible that the LL will take legal action to enforce access and it's possible the T may be liable for the LL's legal costs.

It is important to be reasonable, so I suggest you write to LL offering a number of alternative appointment times/dates (keep copy letter and obtain a free certificate of posting).

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    What's the "something"; and is L under a Letting Agreement obligation to do it?

Leave a comment:

• thedaughter
    replied
    Does LL (housing Assosiation) have to supply appointments in writing?

This might not be right category so apologises. Does a LL have to supply it in writing if they want something doing in the house? My parents HA want to do a test but they only sent a letter with a proposed date and no time. We have been trying to find the time out for over two weeks and was told they couldn't tell us until nearer the time! We wanted to specify a morning appointment. They told us over the phone on 29/3/11 (test is on friday 1st april) that it's an afternoon appointment. Can we refuse the appointment because they haven't supplied info in writing? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• midlandslandlord
    replied
    And since you are T, DON'T authorise any repairs (except to appliances you supplied), even by mistake or by forgetting to tell E that you aren't authorised to do that :-).

ML

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    In addition to what ML's already said....

There are different types and levels of test, so we can't be sure what will be done, but my guess is that it will be a Periodic Inspection Report.

This involves one bloke with just a toolbox and a shoebox-sized testing unit, and who will need access to every room where there's power.

He'll spend most of his time scrabbling around in the consumer unit or fuse box, as that's where all the circuits start and finish; but normally he'll want to unscrew a number of electrical accessories (that's plug sockets, light switches, light fittings etc) to check the innards. They usually do a percentage of the whole, as a spot check; the number they do probably depends on how good or bad their findings are.

Leave a comment:

• midlandslandlord
    replied
    It's usually a test of all permanent electrical systems (ie they unplug everything first) to a standard called BS7671 (2008).

You need a qualified electrician ("competent person"), who will spend several hours checking everything with various bits of kit and meters - no large space required - and will give you a 3-4 page certificate stating how good it is ("satisfactory") etc, explaining what they have done and recommending any works which must be done, or are advisable to have done.

They will *not* test your portable appliances unless you have asked them for a "PAT Test" (Portable Appliance Test) as well, or instead.

The system is the responsibility of your LL, and the appliances usually of your parents.

If you have your own Electrical Check done it will cost from about £100 to £200.

HOWEVER, if it is a Local Authority property, they *should* have these done regularly - if they keep up to the requirements they usually demand to recognise a "good landlord" in the private sector (<raises eyebrows>) - so the place to start is by asking if they have done so, to request a copy of the latest certificate, and ask for one to be done if there hasn't been one done recently.

You should probably be concerned if there has not been a test in the last 3-5 years.

As a quicker check, you can ask for a visit from the EHO and perhaps mention "HHSRS" (Housing Health and Safety Rating System) and that you are concerned about the Electrics, or have a "visual" check from an electrician, for which you will not get a certificate, but it will highlight obvious problems and cost you less money if they will do it.

EHOs are not usually qualified electrically, but they have big boots and are often willing to tread on the feet of landlords if they find something.

If you LL is dragging their feet, you could try getting a visual check with a brief report to use as ammo to get them to do a full check.

Rgds

ML

Leave a comment:

• thedaughter
    started a topic HA annual gas service - 10 months or 12?

HA annual gas service - 10 months or 12?

My mum and dad's house is rented and owned by the local housing association. They want to do an electrical safety test. Does anyone know what this entails? it's a normal semi detached (3 bedrooms, bathroom upstairs, kitchen, dining room, living room, hall downstairs) I think the electricity on a loop circuit? Will they want to test appliances as well as the sockets etc and do they test the light switches as well as sockets. Also what happens if a socket is out of reach ( they have a fitted wardrobe which can't be moved). Will they need a large space for the testing equipment or is it small? I'd really appreciate any info I can pass on as mum is a bit stressed. Thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X