Legionella risk assessment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legionella risk assessment

Received letter from our letting agent saying that a legionella risk assessment needs to be carried out on the property we rent out at the cost of £120+vat. Our property is a one bedroom flat with a hot water heater under the sink and an electric shower. There is no water storage system in the flat so I have been querying this with them as I don't trust our letting agent ( since we've signed up with them, all these "extra fees" have suddenly cropped up!) I've searched the HSE website but the guidance is very woolly and the letting agent has said it's their "interpretation" of it, with guidance of an HSE person. Not shirking our legal responsibility but do not want to be potentially ripped off by paying to have this risk assessment done when it may be completely unnecessary. Does anyone know anymore about this please? Thanks

It's an every 2 year assessment, but you can do it yourself.
    There are guides to how to do it on the web, but essentially you need to be able to measure the water temperature and check for pipes that don't get used much.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Just below the log out, type in Legionella click magnifying glass and up comes a few and recent posts on this.
      Many posts recently on Legionella

Comment

I have just done 4 of these today - just needs common sense and knowledge of the water systems in the property. At same time my gas safe guys were doing gas safety certs, boiler service and fitting co2 alarms as we went and they were thinking of paying £230 each to go on a course to learn to do Legionnaires RA until I put them right.

Make up your own form on an A4 sheet of paper to be completed at least once a year.

Date and address/ date of original assessment/ who carried it out.

Then ask yourself the following questions:-

Since the original assessment was carried out:-
        Has there been any change to the water system or the way it is used by occupants? (yes/no)
        Has there been a change to the use of the building where the system is installed? (yes/no)
        Is there new information available about risks or control measures? (yes/no)
        When testing the water in the system does hot water flow form any outlets at a temp below 50C? (yes/no)
        When testing the temp or water in the system does cold water flow from any outlets at a temp above 20C? (yes/no)
        Are the current tenants and their visitors more susceptible due to their age, health or lifestyle? (yes/no)
        Has there been a case of Legionnaires disease associated with the system? (yes/no)

If you have answered YES to any of the above questions a new risk assessment should be carried out by a competent person.
        Most properties with combi boilers will not come anywhere near sustaining Legionella bacteria but properties with cold tanks in roofs and other places may.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Found quite a helpful guide on carrying out the assessment here

Comment

I am trying to decide on what to do with regards legionella risk assessment and as a landlord do I by law have to have these assessments done. Obviously I want to do the best for my tenants however if I can do any checks myself then that would be much easier. Any information appreciated please. I have one house that has a combi boiler and another that has a water tank in loft and an electric immersion heater. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by sammy07 View Post
              Any ideas?
              Reading the thread you've just posted on would appear to be a good start

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X