Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Lavelle
    replied
    Many cookers have battery operated ignition. It is not regarded as dangerous for the battery to stop working. However due to the difficulties with lighting grills and ovens which can be a bit awkward, you should supply a couple of long nosed lighters - put them on your inventory.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    i think - but could be wrong - that this is one of those areas where if a feature is fitted, it needs to work. In other words, if you have an oven which is designed to be lit by hand, that's fine; but if it has an autoigniter then it needs to work.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Do the manuals say changing the electrode is a "user" thing?? If not get a gas-safe person in perhaps.
    http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/pdf...et_09-2014.pdf

Maybe document (email) to tenant not to use grill until fixed - just in case the worst happens so you've some evidence of taking reasonable steps..

The grill in our gas cooker has needed lighting manuallly for years - but killing yourself (or spouse..) is one thing, killing tenants another

Leave a comment:

• juwelkeeper
    replied
    Yes it is a case of replacing the electrode hopefully, i tried to replace it myself but a little awkward to get to the screw so i will have to get an appliance engineer to fix it, but it might take a few days for them to get the part and fit it. So just wanted to know where i stood as far as a a tennant using the cooker, ATM it has an advisery ticket on the oven put on by the gas man .

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Can you get a new electrode? If the other electrodes light okay, it should be a simple matter to rectify.

If gas man hasn't cut off the gas to the appliance, I would guess it's safe to use.

Leave a comment:

• juwelkeeper
    started a topic Grill failed gas safety test

Grill failed gas safety test

Hi just need some advise my oven failed on the grill the grill electrode does not work so basically it wont light via the ignition button so would need to be started with a gas lighter. The gas engineer said he was not comfortable with the failure , i asked if it could be used or not , he said he would get back to me . Where do i stand on this can my tenant still use the oven or not.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pat testing
    by jase222
    Hi, every year I have all the electrical items in my properties tested even if they are tenants property.
    Can you write something in the tenancy about having items tested and paying for it.
    I've had a number of tenants items fail and it always causes problems when I say they need to remove...
    19-07-2021, 16:36 PM
  • Reply to Pat testing
    by Neelix
    My minimum charge is £60 for up to 20 items. Not sure how ANYBODY can do 20 items for £15 and make a profit , unless he's charging £15 per item!...
    20-07-2021, 07:41 AM
  • Reply to Pat testing
    by jase222
    I know you don't have to have pat test done, but in Bristol 5 years ago a landlord was fined 30k for a faulty fridge which went live and injured the tenants son Not only that but he was refused insurance and cover withdrawn.
    When the engineer is there he tests everything for one price, £15 one...
    20-07-2021, 06:58 AM
  • Reply to Pat testing
    by Neelix
    Why are you testing every year? And why are you paying for tenants kit?
    19-07-2021, 18:29 PM
  • Reply to Pat testing
    by Interlaken
    I think you only have to test items you supply as part of the tenancy.
    19-07-2021, 16:38 PM
  • Reply to New consumer unit advice
    by andybenw
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending to source your own. Just saying if you want to they can be gotten.
    15-07-2021, 16:11 PM
  • New consumer unit advice
    by bobcat
    Hi all,

I had my electrical safety inspection carried out and the RCD in the consumer unit was found to be faulty (leakage due to age)

I have a plastic mem consumer unit and can no longer obtain a new RCD so will have a new consumer unit fitted

I have decided to...
    12-07-2021, 14:12 PM
  • EICR and RCD failure
    by bobcat
    Hi all,
    Can the electricians on this forum comment on how often they come across an RCD that has failed..

I recently had three EICRs carried out and two have failed because of a faulty RCD..on the 2nd house the electrician said he had not seen that before, I went to CEF and managed...
    15-07-2021, 14:11 PM
    by Gandolf
    Have trust in your sparky, dont get you own, if theres anything wrong you will get charged to put it right, if its wrong and they get it its their problem simples. Plus they will use the same boxes daily and keep all spares incase anything happens in future, if its your box they might not have spres...
    15-07-2021, 12:05 PM
    by andybenw
    You can probably source a Hager Unit from TLC if you don't want an electricians mark-up. Likely to be one on an industrial estate near you. TLC definitely sell to non electricians as I've bought stuff from them myself.
    15-07-2021, 07:35 AM
Working...
X