Worried about carbon monoxide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Worried about carbon monoxide

    Hi there, Ive lived in many rented flats and in the last 3 months moved into a flat share. My flat mate has left the country for 2 months .

    There is a poorly installed woodburner here. The flue, which basically looks like the inner bit of a real flue (i.e. its flexible) has been literally put into the wall where the chimney is - so there is no actual visible fireplace, its just a hole in the wall with the flue going through and its been cemented in. I am concerned - I have been using it. I installed my own carbon monoxide alarm as there isnt one here - and so far no bleeps which is good.
    However, I have had a constant headache for 3 weeks - i dont suffer from headaches so for me this is odd. I have also been sleeping in this room on and off (its the lounge, but is the warmest part of this big Victorian flat).

    Im really concerned now as the building hasnt been well maintained really - ive not seen a gas certificate and with all my other flats, as sole occupier Ive always made sure that i nudge the landlord, if needed, to get the gas certificate yearly.

    There are no smoke alarms here either. There is gas central heating, so there is a boiler visible in the kitchen.

    Im on a short hold tenancy agreement. Im planning on calling the letting agent tomorrow to ask for a gas certificate...ive not had to do it before and worried that they will say no.

    Can someone please advise as to the legality of all of this?

    Many thanks Emma

    #2
    Look to see whether you have a registration plate. May be on chimney. This would give information on installation. Failing this try building control at your local council.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by rattypuff View Post
      I installed my own carbon monoxide alarm as there isnt one here - and so far no bleeps which is good.
      However, I have had a constant headache for 3 weeks
      So providing the alarm works, why would you think the headaches are anything to do with carbon monoxide leaks?

      If you go and see your doctor; if s/he suspects your symptoms are down to CO poisoning then they'll likely do a blood test to check.

      Ive always made sure that i nudge the landlord, if needed, to get the gas certificate yearly.
      Im planning on calling the letting agent tomorrow to ask for a gas certificate...ive not had to do it before and worried that they will say no
      So, do you always ask to have the gas checked, or have you never asked(?!)

      Anyway - you certainly shouldn't need to be asking for it; the landlord/agent should be getting it done proactively, it's not your responsibility to chase them. Don't be worried about them saying 'no' - bone up on this here - failure to provide a gas cert is a very serious issue.

      There are no smoke alarms here either.
      There's no obligation for the landlord to provide them.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by rattypuff View Post
        There is a poorly installed woodburner here.
        I installed my own carbon monoxide alarm as there isnt one here - and so far no bleeps which is good.
        However, I have had a constant headache for 3 weeks - i dont suffer from headaches so for me this is odd. I have also been sleeping in this room on and off (its the lounge, but is the warmest part of this big Victorian flat).

        Im really concerned now as the building hasnt been well maintained really - ive not seen a gas certificate and with all my other flats, as sole occupier Ive always made sure that i nudge the landlord, if needed, to get the gas certificate yearly.

        Im on a short hold tenancy agreement. Im planning on calling the letting agent tomorrow to ask for a gas certificate...ive not had to do it before and worried that they will say no.
        Hi just a few random thoughts I hope this helps -

        It is highly recommended to have a CO alarm if you have a wood burner.
        If it is a reputable brand such as Kiddi and in date then your CO alarm will almost certainly not be faulty, but if it is some cheap no brand think imported and sold at markets or auction websites then it may not work at all.

        Your headache could be due to other reasons - low Carbon Dioxide, for example, is not seriously posonous but could have this result and is associated with fires but could also be to do with poor ventilation in your work place if you work in a building with lots of other people.

        You are LEGALLY entitled to a copy of the Gas Inspection Report (Certificate) - so don't expect the letting agent to say no expect them to say yes. In fact they were supposed to provide you with it when you moved in. If it is lost the landlord should still have a copy as they have to keep it for 2 years.

        Finally.
        There are too many things I can say about Carbon Monoxide (including about wood burners) I wrote a book and you can download the e version for free from most websites including smashwords.com. It is called,
        Carbon Monoxide Not Only A killer.
        When I say "we" I mean my husband does it whilst I read and write about it! Mrs Tara Plumbing doesn't do plumbing."

        Comment

        Latest Activity

        Collapse

        Working...
        X