Fire requirements for ceilings and walls

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Fire requirements for ceilings and walls


    Are there any mandatory requirements for floor and wall construction in a HMO property. I guess most standard houses are 7 x 2 joists with plasterboard and skim underneath and 18mm tongue and groove floorboards above. Are there any regulatory guidelines in respect to this?

    Kind Regards

    Firstly, if you are doing conversion or remedial building works you should adhere to current building regulations standards. COntact building control in your council

    If you are assessing what is currently in place you should look at the guidance in the Lacors fire safety guidance or contact your council. They may have guidelines on their website. If your HMO will be licensable, then the council will pay close attention to fire separation issues.

    Your fire risk assessment (best done by an independant professional fire risk assessor) should identify what is currently in place and whether it is sufficient
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

    * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *

    You can search the forums here:



      You should definitely be in touch with your local building control officer on this one - have you got an HMO licence?

      I have a feeling you may be asked for double layer plasterboard on the ceiling or a fire proof board in one layer.

      Freedom at the point of zero............


      Latest Activity