X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK0
    started a topic Gas Hatch Scam

Gas Hatch Scam

Back in 2011, I got the letting agent of my rental flat to arrange some flue hatches to be fitted. These are compulsory for concealed flues from 1/1/13. They put in two hatches above the 4 metre long lounge, and seem to have done a good job.

I have a different letting agent now, and today they sent their gas man round to do the inspection. The guy has failed it because the hatches do not correspond to the flue joints.

My agent has sent me the following circular on the subject from the firm:
    http://www.gas-elec.co.uk/Inspection-Hatches.html

I have sent her the Gas Safe one that mentions the hatches only have to be 1.5 metres from the joints:
    http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/adv...questions.aspx

Is this firm trying to pick holes in my installation to get the job of 'rectifying' it?

• JK0
    replied
    Today my agent changed her story. Now she says that the flues could not be inspected because of all the insulation in the ceiling, and that the hatch fitter should have removed it.

Hmm. I think there is a good reason for insulation there isn't there? Presumably the hot pipe needs insulation to stop it setting light to the flat, and the ceiling needs insulation for fire and sound proofing.

My agent suggested that I ask the original hatch fitters to go back and remove the insulation! I told her I would just get the previous agent's gas man to do this year's gas certificate.

Agents, eh?

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Thanks Blake. My thoughts entirely.

Leave a comment:

• Blake
    replied
    I'm a gas engineer and as long as the engineer can inspect any flue joints in the void with the hatches provided then there is no issue as far as I'm concerned. Besides, before you cut into a ceiling to fit the hatch, how would you know where the joints are?

As long as I can see the joints, see that the flue is supported and sound, then I'm happy. Tell them you want a 2nd opinion and arrange for engineer yourself to go and check it out. probably cheaper than letting the agent do it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I suppose if you stick your head through, probably.

Leave a comment:

• Alexlandlord
    replied
    Hard to tell without more information. Can you inspect properly from hatches on ceiling !

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Fire Report Assessments
    Sophie178
    We are two Victorian houses converted back in 1974 into 7 flats (4 flats share the same entrance and communal area whilst the remaining 3 have their own separate entrances and have no access to the communal area).

We have had a FRA carried out in which they state we need to:
    1. Fit all
    15-01-2018, 14:43 PM
  • Reply to Fire Report Assessments
    Sophie178
    Many thanks all. This is immensely helpful. Will get the managing agents to pull their fingers out!
    16-01-2018, 11:11 AM
    leaseholder64
    I think that the OP was confused by the date of the regulatory reform order (passed in 2005, although I think not live until 2006).

What that did was to make people liable for the fire safety of blocks; it didn't introduce any new standards for fire safety.

If the block is...
    16-01-2018, 00:09 AM
    Fire Risk Assessor
    Seems to be some confusion on dates. Properties converted prior to the updating of Building Regulations in 1991 (introduced in June 92) would be classed as a conversion. We can't be sure of the standard of fire resistance, therefore we provide a detection system and full evacuation, as stated. The...
    15-01-2018, 23:34 PM
    leaseholder64
    Every block of flats with communal areas, even if built after the introduction of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order, must comply with it, not just those that pre-date it. Ones built after, or soon before, it are unlikely to require remedial work, unless some of the assumptions in the original...
    15-01-2018, 18:06 PM
    Sophie178
    Many thanks Leaseholder64. So in other words every block of flats built or house conversions in the UK prior to 2005 have to have these regulations? Regrettably, our Managing agent only carried it out in 2016 but as of yet has not yet implemented any of it despite the directors of the Freehold authorising...
    15-01-2018, 16:02 PM
    leaseholder64
    All look reasonable.

Planning permission is irrelevant.

Fire safety law takes precedence over the original planning consents, although you will generally not be required to bring things up to current building control standards, unless you replace them..

You are...
    15-01-2018, 15:28 PM
  • Fire Door Regualtions
    C Lewis
    I'm converting a 3 storey house into 3 flats, the entrance to each is on a shared staircase inside the house, so technically they are internal doors.

Each flat is fitted with an FD30 and locks with a fire rated thumb turn lock. I would like to offer the tenants the additional security of...
    15-01-2018, 11:29 AM
  • Reply to Fire Door Regualtions
    leaseholder64
    Also, any rules about chains or thumb turns would likely be the same as those for doors opening onto a safe part of the outside world.
    15-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Working...
X