Asbestos Survey obligations in 1999

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Asbestos Survey obligations in 1999

    Our apartments were converted in c1999/2000. The building is c200 years old and our recent Fire Risk Assessment on the communal areas states that we should have an Asbestos Survey.

    Question 1: Given the dates of conversion, was the developer (who happens still to be the landlord) obliged to have a survey done.

    Question 2: If it was mandatory (rather than recommended) then but wasn't carried out, what recourse do we have?

  • #2
    Fire Risk Assessment & Developer's obligations

    Our apartments are in a c200 year old building converted c12 years ago. Our recent (first) FRA indicates various shortcomings that need to be remedied e.g.
    - fire doors don't seal off a gas boiler room;
    - the wooden framework on this and other doors has gaps that would allow smoke to permeate;
    - there are no fire alarms in the communal cellar

    Do we have any recourse against the developer (who happens still to be the landlord) to have the failings rectified at his expense?

    The leases place an obligation on the management company (owned in equal parts by the apartment owners) for maintenance. About 7 years ago the then owners signed off a snag list - but this was obviously in ignorance of any FRA report

    Comment


    • #3
      Two related threads have been merged.
      I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NHMC View Post
        Our apartments were converted in c1999/2000. The building is c200 years old and our recent Fire Risk Assessment on the communal areas states that we should have an Asbestos Survey.

        Question 1: Given the dates of conversion, was the developer (who happens still to be the landlord) obliged to have a survey done.

        Question 2: If it was mandatory (rather than recommended) then but wasn't carried out, what recourse do we have?
        http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/managing/index.htm

        The freeholder needs to have a survey done now and to maintain an asbestos register. He can reclaim the cost from the leaseholders.

        There was not a requirement to do this in 2000
        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

        * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *

        You can search the forums here:

        Comment


        • #5
          FRA - other issues

          Originally posted by Bel View Post
          http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/managing/index.htm

          The freeholder needs to have a survey done now and to maintain an asbestos register. He can reclaim the cost from the leaseholders.

          There was not a requirement to do this in 2000
          Although the two threads were merged they do relate to two different issues. The first is regarding the asbestos survey and whether one should hav been carried out in c2000; the second relatss to other remedial work identified by the FRA. What is the situation re. this latter set of issues? Do the leaseholders have any recourse against the developer/landlord?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NHMC View Post
            Our apartments are in a c200 year old building converted c12 years ago. Our recent (first) FRA indicates various shortcomings that need to be remedied e.g.
            - fire doors don't seal off a gas boiler room;
            - the wooden framework on this and other doors has gaps that would allow smoke to permeate;
            - there are no fire alarms in the communal cellar

            Do we have any recourse against the developer (who happens still to be the landlord) to have the failings rectified at his expense?

            The leases place an obligation on the management company (owned in equal parts by the apartment owners) for maintenance. About 7 years ago the then owners signed off a snag list - but this was obviously in ignorance of any FRA report
            I think part of this question might get better attention in the LEASEHOLDERS forum

            Please note fire risk assessments in residential communal areas have only been required since October 1st 2006.

            My comment is that fire precautions will never ever remain pristine from when they were installed. The FRA should identify how often the precautions need to be inspected on an on going basis. A yearly review of the condition of fire precautions would be a minimum; eg checking the smoke seals of fire doors etc. The FRA itself should be reassessed whenever there is a change in circumstances such as occupancy or development work, or after a fire incident. Any smoke detection system should also be serviced and parts such as detectors replaced according to manufacturerers instructions.....my point is fire safety is an ongoing process which must be paid for.

            You could present your FRA to the freeholder and ask him to make good faults as a gesture of goodwill; I think you would find it hard to press the freeholder by law into making good or to the correct current standard at the time, simply because it is in excess of 6 years limitation. Like I said; leaseholder forum may yield better advice.

            You could always speak to your local fire department about what the FRA points out and see if they agree with it. Different assessors have different opinions.

            You could speak to building control to check it was properly signed off at the time and what the safety standards should have been at the time.
            All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

            * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *

            You can search the forums here:

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bel View Post
              http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/managing/index.htm

              The freeholder needs to have a survey done now and to maintain an asbestos register. He can reclaim the cost from the leaseholders.

              There was not a requirement to do this in 2000
              Please substitute " the responsible person" for the freeholder. The responsible person may be the property management or the freeholder
              All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

              * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *

              You can search the forums here:

              Comment

              Latest Activity

              Collapse

              • Problem with air to electricity heat source
                Wright76
                Not sure if anyone here can help as it relates to a housing association.

                my friend moved into a housing association property 2 years ago. Village has no gas and is all electricity with heating being provided by an air to electricity heat source pump and hot water heated by panels on roof....
                13-07-2017, 09:36 AM
              • Reply to Problem with air to electricity heat source
                Wright76
                Small update. An electrician visited from housing association yesterday and witnessed what is happening. He had no training on the air source heat pump but verified that the cost Is off the scale and that the heat it is generating is not entering the house.

                He suspects as someone on here...
                20-07-2017, 10:46 AM
              • Saturday Lad
                JK0
                A friend's son is 15, and I have suggested he might want to come & help with my renovation projects on Saturdays, for some pocket money.

                I will increase my landlord's cover to include employer's insurance, and buy him safety shoes and an overall. Is there anything I have overlook...
                18-12-2016, 07:47 AM
              • Reply to Saturday Lad
                JK0
                I guess the Dad would have to know how to do the work to show the child in the first place. My friend is completely useless. I found a curtain track at the flat which I know he needs. He is incapable of putting it up without me supervising. I hope in due course his son will be able to supervise Dad....
                18-07-2017, 20:40 PM
              • Reply to Saturday Lad
                MisterB
                what I fail to understand is that we are supposed to be a nation of 'diy'ers. yet it seems that a lot of younger people cant even change a plug. don't their parents get them to do anything 'maintenance' wise ?...
                18-07-2017, 20:14 PM
              • Gas Check Built In Cooker
                Shaunagus
                Hi

                hiping you can help. I can't find anything on this particular issue.

                When the agent originally let one of my flats they orgnajsed a gas safety check of the boiler but not the gas cooker. I've since taken over managing the tenancy myself and have read that all gas appliances...
                14-07-2017, 11:50 AM
              • Reply to Gas Check Built In Cooker
                Shaunagus
                Ok thanks will mention that to the guy who's coming to look at it...
                17-07-2017, 10:32 AM
              • Reply to Gas Check Built In Cooker
                JK0
                I would take out the fridge, and put in the hall, then unscrew that wine rack. Then you might see what is stopping the cooker coming out. It might be floor leveling screed that is stopping its feet moving.

                You might even get away without trimming anything, as your oven doors seem to be...
                17-07-2017, 06:44 AM
              • Attic bedroom safety for historic conversion
                bowsden
                Hello. I'm a new BtL landlord and have just bought an upper flat with two bedrooms, one in the attic. The conversion is very old and there is no paperwork associated with it. It has been let out for 30 years previously and is very tired, so I intend to freshen it up, put double glazing in and let it...
                14-07-2017, 08:59 AM
              • Reply to Attic bedroom safety for historic conversion
                leaseholder64
                True like for like doesn't need planning permission, but might still trigger building control requirements. uPVC for wood is not like for like.

                For flats, the council will normally want all the windows to be as similar as reasonably practicable, at least as seen when closed.
                17-07-2017, 00:01 AM
              Working...
              X