Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lanlord knows of faulty fuse box

Hi,

Just looking for advice as to whether my landlord is responsible for the fuse box (I think he is), currently in a dispute as the electric keeps cutting out at the same time each day and has done so now for the last 4 days.

The lettings agent has contacted the landlord and he's sent an electrician over who's said there is a fault with the box and that's what is tripping the fuse box. However the landlord refuse to install a new fuse box saying that it trips because it's a safety feature of the box.

Is he correct or can anyone add some advice on what to do next? That would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Jay

If it's tripping (for safety) it is because there is something wrong with the electrical installarions in the house.

If it trips at the same time each day, that suggests something is coming on automatically at a certain time and tripping it - so is there anything set to do so? I would think heating or hot water would be likely candidates.

Check that out, then report back

Comment

Hi Snorkerz,

Thanks for your reply, it is the hot water that's scheduled to to come on at a set time and funnily enough same time as the power cuts off (we never even thought it might be that). We've also phoned the lettings agent to let them know.

Thanks
      Jay

Comment

In that case, yes it is the landlords responsibility. If the agents don't sort it out in good time (lets say have a plumber looking at it by Friday) then on Monday contact Environmental Health at your local council. You shouldn't need to tell them, but it is section 11 of the 1985 Landlord & Tenant Act.

Comment

Originally posted by JayMoz View Post
          Thanks for your reply, it is the hot water that's scheduled to to come on at a set time and funnily enough same time as the power cuts off (we never even thought it might be that).
          So the fault is with the hot water system, not the fuse box, which is just doing exactly what it's supposed to do, to protect you and the property.

But yes, definitely the landlord's responsibility to sort it out. My guess is the heating element in the hot water tank has failed, and is shorting out.

Comment

We've got an engineering coming out next Monday to look at the boiler. Hopefully all will be rectified during the visit

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X