House no longer rented - hhsrs valid?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • House no longer rented - hhsrs valid?

    is the hhsrs still required if the house is no longer rented out?

    We are due to move back into the property in the summer as owner/occupiers. The current tenant has asked for a hhsrs we suspect to be awkward as they have been issued the s21, there is a damp problem which we are in the process of arranging to be treated, had hoped to do it once they vacated for ease of access but don't think thats happening now.

    So we are expecting to be issued with something from the council saying we need to get the damp sorted, however once tenant moves out does it still need to be signed off by the council as it is no longer a rented property? (hoping this makes sense)

  • #2
    The council will give you timescales, so I guess so long as your tenant is gone before the council deadline you should be fine. Of course that could easily be 6 months off.

    You have to see the irony in your decision to wait for these repairs - we're not doing it for this tenant, but it we won't live in the place unless it is treated.


    • #3
      Thank you, so if it is no longer rented the council aren't interested is the basic jist.

      I know it sounds ironic, it wasn't intentional. The repair needs good access and the property ventilating etc which really would be easier in an empty property and when the weather has improved (have asked tenant to do some actions themselves in the meantime which i suspect they haven't done to help the situation either). We would be doing it before another tenant moved in, it just so happens we are moving in instead.
      We want to get the work done in the spring/summer (aka now, so thought it would make sense to wait for them to move out rather than cause disruption). So if (when!) they don't move out it will still get done around that time, just unfortunate that we will probably have to do further remedial work later on because they won't do their part. We were first made aware of the problems 2 months ago, asked them to take basic steps to see if it improved, didn't so started getting quotes 1 month ago - we are not being super quick but also not dragging our feet.


      • #4
        In strictest terms, the HHSRS can be applied to all housing, rented or not. But they will be less interested if there are no tenants involved, or there are no vulnerable people (elderly, disabled, children etc) in occupation unless they think you will relet soon. The risk assessment itself does not mean that you are forced to make repairs. The council would have to issue you with a notice to force you to get any work done. You can appeal against the notice if they do so. It would be best to discuss the assessment with them before that stage.
        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

        * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *

        You can search the forums here:


        Latest Activity


        • what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
          I have a one bed flat that is let out at the moment. I asked an electrician to change the fusebox to a consumer unit and asked him for a cost of changing my battery smoke alarm to a main conntected one.

          What he told me is that I need two alarms, one smoke alarm and one heat alarm...
          21-07-2017, 10:02 AM
        • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
          Agreed. My use of open flue was wrong. The theory of the legislation is that the annual inspection and the well controlled nature of the fuel should mean that a problem is detected before it becomes dangerous, but there is no inspection regime for solid fuel.
          23-07-2017, 22:57 PM
        • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
          Not to be pedantic but CO alarms are required in rooms where there is a solid-fuel appliance. So an open gas fire would not require one.
          23-07-2017, 22:40 PM
        • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
          Stef Cooke
          Is this becoming 'a thing'?

          I have had a run in with a, well, I don't know what he was, to be honest! Not an electrician, not a surveyor.. his card said something like "Property Inspection and Surveys" - so had assumed he was a clerk with some of the other possible certs added...
          23-07-2017, 14:20 PM
        • CP12 Question
          Sorry if this has been asked before, and sorry for posting rather than waiting to see what happens !

          I have just had my gas appliances serviced, and safety inspection carried out (for a landlords gas safety certificate - CP12).

          There was a fault which the engineer classified...
          20-07-2017, 22:13 PM
        • Reply to CP12 Question
          Just for interest - I once had a (personal, not BTL) house where there was a smell of gas near the meter. Called the gas company, instructed (obviously) to turn the gas off at the meter - smell continued.

          Was told to leave the property IMMEDIATELY and they had someone there within 15 minutes....
          21-07-2017, 15:45 PM
        • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
          Don't 'think', do your own research. FB is a good place to start.

          Battery operated alarms are fine for a non-HMO unless Council Registration is poss required. Suggest LL replaces batt alarms every 3 years, as detectors deteriorate. Mains powered alarms should replaced every 10 years...
          21-07-2017, 15:18 PM
        • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
          Many thanks, I think you guys are right
          21-07-2017, 11:34 AM
        • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
          You're (obviously) right, no idea how I managed to so badly mangle that sentence!...
          21-07-2017, 11:09 AM
        • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
          You need a CO detector only if there is an open flue device, not only if there is not one. You always need one smoke detector per floor.

          The interlinked smoke and heat combination is current best practice for rented properties, and, if you are subject to landlord licensing, might be required...
          21-07-2017, 10:48 AM