Fire risk assessments in HMO and non HMO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fire risk assessments in HMO and non HMO

    I beleive I am required to carry out a fire risk assessment one every HMO letting. Please can someone tell me if we can do this ourselves or whether we need to use a professional firm.

    Also what are the rules for non HMO letting. Are fire risk assessments a legal requirement still.

    Finally, HMOs lettings must have mains wired smoke and heat sensors etc. Does this yet apply to non hmo lettings ?

    Thanks in advance.

    Sarah

  • #2
    Originally posted by Sarah Beesley View Post
    I beleive I am required to carry out a fire risk assessment one every HMO letting. Please can someone tell me if we can do this ourselves or whether we need to use a professional firm.
    Supposedly a landlord should be able to do one, but if you do it wrong it will not be a defense should the worst happen. If you are new to this, get a professional one done especially if its a high risk occupancy. There is a lot of info to take into consideration.

    Originally posted by Sarah Beesley View Post
    Also what are the rules for non HMO letting. Are fire risk assessments a legal requirement still.
    To my knowledge they are not a legal requirement but as a landlord you need to take reasonable steps for your tenants safety. A risk assessment will help you be mindful about any issues; it's best practise.
    Originally posted by Sarah Beesley View Post
    Finally, HMOs lettings must have mains wired smoke and heat sensors etc. Does this yet apply to non hmo lettings ? .
    Probably not if it's a low risk property, but depends on the set up.
    Also the building regs for new builds require mains smoke detectors.

    Remember that HMO does not just mean non-licensable HMO, it means any property shared by 3 or more unrelated persons
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

    * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *

    You can search the forums here:

    Comment

    Latest Activity

    Collapse

    Working...
    X