Clearance around freestanding electric cooker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearance around freestanding electric cooker

I have a property that has a gas cooker against a tiled wall, the space is tight. One side of cooker is 40mm adjacent to the tiled wall, the other side is about 25mm adjacent to a worktop.

Recently, BG carried out a gas safety certification and informed me that the space clearance is not adequate.

We had certification every year yet, this is the first time BG raises this as non compliant and issued a warning notice.

Has there been a new regulation regarding clearnace recently?

Is it the same for an electric cooker?

If I replace it with an electric cooker that is installed by a qualified electrician, it will not be subject to gas safety inspection. Would that be acceptable in terms of safety?

Please help.

With gaps like those, it sounds like British Gas are just after selling you a thinner cooker!

MFI installed my gas cooker right against cupboards on either side and caused them to get scorched. My cupboards are now about 1/2" clear of the cooker on each side, (and don't get scorched any more.)

You only have a warning. Presumably this has been like this for years, so tenant can continue to use the same cooker.

Someone in a previous post linked here: http://callde.co.uk/safety_regulations.asp

Comment

Electric free standing cookers can have worktops up to the sides of the cooker. Built in electric hobs have worktop all around the hob and built in electric ovens are set into 'built under' oven units which are a close fit. Nevertheless, manufacturers recommendations for clearances should be observed and that will help you decide.
      Ohm sweet Ohm

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• CP12 Question
        rfph1
        Sorry if this has been asked before, and sorry for posting rather than waiting to see what happens !

I have just had my gas appliances serviced, and safety inspection carried out (for a landlords gas safety certificate - CP12).

There was a fault which the engineer classified...
        20-07-2017, 22:13 PM
      • Reply to CP12 Question
        MrShed
        Just for interest - I once had a (personal, not BTL) house where there was a smell of gas near the meter. Called the gas company, instructed (obviously) to turn the gas off at the meter - smell continued.

Was told to leave the property IMMEDIATELY and they had someone there within 15 minutes....
        21-07-2017, 15:45 PM
      • Reply to CP12 Question
        Interlaken
        The gas meter is the property of NG or whatever therefore it was their job to fix it. However the man doing your CP12 sounds like he works for a large company and just does what he gets paid for. You did the right thing. CP12 is mainly about safety of the appliances in the property but not being...
        21-07-2017, 08:57 AM
      • Problem with air to electricity heat source
        Wright76
        Not sure if anyone here can help as it relates to a housing association.

my friend moved into a housing association property 2 years ago. Village has no gas and is all electricity with heating being provided by an air to electricity heat source pump and hot water heated by panels on roof....
        13-07-2017, 09:36 AM
      • Reply to Problem with air to electricity heat source
        Wright76
        Small update. An electrician visited from housing association yesterday and witnessed what is happening. He had no training on the air source heat pump but verified that the cost Is off the scale and that the heat it is generating is not entering the house.

He suspects as someone on here...
        20-07-2017, 10:46 AM
      • Saturday Lad
        JK0
        A friend's son is 15, and I have suggested he might want to come & help with my renovation projects on Saturdays, for some pocket money.

I will increase my landlord's cover to include employer's insurance, and buy him safety shoes and an overall. Is there anything I have overlook...
        18-12-2016, 07:47 AM
      • Reply to Saturday Lad
        JK0
        I guess the Dad would have to know how to do the work to show the child in the first place. My friend is completely useless. I found a curtain track at the flat which I know he needs. He is incapable of putting it up without me supervising. I hope in due course his son will be able to supervise Dad....
        18-07-2017, 20:40 PM
      • Reply to Saturday Lad
        MisterB
        what I fail to understand is that we are supposed to be a nation of 'diy'ers. yet it seems that a lot of younger people cant even change a plug. don't their parents get them to do anything 'maintenance' wise ?...
        18-07-2017, 20:14 PM
      • Gas Check Built In Cooker
        Shaunagus
        Hi

hiping you can help. I can't find anything on this particular issue.

When the agent originally let one of my flats they orgnajsed a gas safety check of the boiler but not the gas cooker. I've since taken over managing the tenancy myself and have read that all gas appliances...
        14-07-2017, 11:50 AM
      • Reply to Gas Check Built In Cooker
        Shaunagus
        Ok thanks will mention that to the guy who's coming to look at it...
        17-07-2017, 10:32 AM
      Working...
      X