Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CP12 - "flue firestop not sealed" on a gas fire

Hi guys,
    I have just recently had a CP12 carried out on one of my properties, and it has flagged an "at risk" issue with the gas fire in the living room. Its stated that the flue firestop is not sealed.
    This is an old gas fire that is fitted into an original chimney breast, however I am unsure as to what this means, and how I can have it rectified.
    Please send me your thoughts and suggestions as I need to have this fixed ASAP.
    Many thanks

I believe (and I know nothing) that the metal tube that should run up the inside of the chimney to carry the fumes away is either no longer properly attached to the fire, or is split further up.

Comment

Thank you!
      I'm not entirely sure if its an open flue or not, so wondering if the problem could be to do with the bricks and mortar within the chimney. If so, slightly concerned as to how and what I can do withit!
      Any more suggestions won't go a miss
      Cheers

Comment

Without knowing the exact construction you have, it will be a flat metal plate around the fireplace area where the fumes from the gas fire enter, and go up the chimney. I doubt very much that it will be anything other than a trivial matter to sort out. It won't be the mortar inside the chimneystack; if that had failed it would have been described as such.

Comment

The firestop is simply a metal sheet that goes across the opening between the gas fire and the hearth. It has an opening for the fire's flue spigot to go through and direct fumes from the fire up the chimney flue.

Firestops are usually held in place by special tape all around the edge. The tape is heat resistant, a kind of Gaffer tape on steroids, and seals the hearth from fumes coming back into the room from the flue.

Don't be tempted to do the work yourself. To ensure a proper seal around all four sides of the firestop the fire usually needs to be removed to fit the tape, so it's a job for a gas safe registered engineer to do the repair work.

Depending on the type of fire it shouldn't be more than about 1.5 hour's work to remove the fire, fit the tape, refit the fire and do the usual safety tests on the fire and the gas installation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X