Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire safety Enforcement Notice

Dear all,
    I have very recently purchased a purpose-built Leasehold flat in East London. The block of c.80 flats was built in about 2005.
    I have since discovered that the Freeholder's Managing Agents were served a Fire Safety Enforcement Notice earlier this year. The compliance deadline is September. The existence of this Enforcement Notice was not disclosed by the Managing Agents in the pre-contract enquiries (even though they knew about it.)
    I have also discovered that the Freeholder's Managing Agents were served a previous identical Enforcement Notice back in 2010, but this does not appear to have been complied with.

I have several worries:
    1. That the Enforcement Notice invalidates the Freeholder's buildings insurance, or that there will be an exclusion in the policy, effectively meaning that the block is uninsured. If this is so, then surely the Freeholder will be in breach of the lease by failing to insure? (I have tried, so far unsuccessfully, to get a copy of the full insurance policy to check for exclusions.)
    2. That the cost of the remedial works in order to comply with the Enforcement Notice will be significant and will obviously be passed on to the Leaseholders.
    3. That the Freeholder's Managing Agents failed to comply with the Enforcement Notice in 2010 and will therefore simply fail to comply again. According to various online forums, the Freeholder has a bad reputation.
    4. That all this will affect the resale value of the flat, and that a prospective purchaser's lender may be unwilling to take a mortgage over a flat in a block which does not meet fire safety requirements.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation?
    How can the Leaseholders force the Freeholder/Managing Agents to comply with the Enforcement Notice?
    What action can the Leaseholders take if the Freeholder/Managing Agents fail to comply?
    Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Tony, just read this one if you want to inbox me with your contact details I'd be happy to offer you some advice that may help once i know more details.

Darren

Comment

Thanks Darren. I'll send you my contact details. Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Darren Baird View Post
        Tony, just read this one if you want to inbox me with your contact details I'd be happy to offer you some advice that may help once i know more details.
        As 'Topic Expert' Darren, shouldn't that discourse take place on the forum where the rest of the readership could benefit from your comments/expertise?

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
          As 'Topic Expert' Darren, shouldn't that discourse take place on the forum where the rest of the readership could benefit from your comments/expertise?
          Valid point! It was just the time taken to address the issues given the complex nature I would have been typing for England!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 2 or 3 stories
            Paulpopb
            I have been given a upgrade order by the council stating fire hazard 1. The inspector insists because the building is 3 stories, ii have to install an interlinked wired fire alarm system.
            I have 2 flats over 2 floors and an attic that has been boarded out in to 2 rooms but on the orders of a previous...
            25-07-2019, 16:02 PM
          • Reply to 2 or 3 stories
            Paulpopb
            I have an appeal in and because of the changes to BS58__ part 6 in May this year it says because of improvement with alarms etc a mains wired alarm and wired control panel is no longer a requirement so I'm optimistic about the appeal.
            04-10-2019, 21:16 PM
          • Hard Wired Sysyem
            Ian2019
            I have a flat that I rent out that has a “tested with tenant” FireAngel ST 750T smoke alarm and a Carbon Monoxide alarm and a fire blanket in the kitchen.
            The Management Company have recently undertaken a Fire Risk Assessment and informed us that all landlords should comply with BS 5839-6...
            24-09-2019, 11:14 AM
          • Reply to Hard Wired Sysyem
            theartfullodger
            Fine: Reply, in writing, stating you have considered that standard. That's all they've asked you to do....
            25-09-2019, 18:52 PM
            Ian2019
            Thank you both for your information, clear and concise.
            i will seriously look at the screwfix alarm option to replace the existing alarm and I take on board your helpful comments and the education update it has provided for myself.
            25-09-2019, 18:14 PM
            leaseholder64
            What they are probably going by is appendix 6 of "Fire Safety in Purpose Built Blocks of Flats", which is the standard reference for risk assessing blocks like yours. This says:

With which you comply unless you have done any major electrical wiring work. And:
            25-09-2019, 12:09 PM
            baldelectrician
            the management company can insist on what they want, I think it is unlikely they can justify you remove a compliant battery system and install a mains one as both now comply with BS 5839 Pt 6 (the standard has been amened as smoke detector and battery technology has developed)

I am fairly...
            25-09-2019, 11:42 AM
            Ian2019
            Leaseholder64 - that now makes sense. I purchased my flat 12 years ago (to live in - with a glazed door) - but have now married and live at my wife’s flat - hence we rent my old one out. Having had a couple of “bad” tenants - I am beginning to think seriously about selling it now. Thank you.
            24-09-2019, 17:18 PM
            leaseholder64
            If it is a purpose built flat, below you and has proper fire doors, the fire should be contained. The smoke alarms in those flats don't protect you, only the occupiers of those flats. On the other hand their entrance door does protect you.
            24-09-2019, 17:10 PM
            leaseholder64
            No it is nowhere near major work in the sense I used. I'm not even sure if completely rewiring the electrics would trigger the requirements.

On the other hand, it does appear that over 50% of the flats have been owned by criminals, at one time or another, as replacing a fire door with...
            24-09-2019, 17:09 PM
          Working...
          X