Fire Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Safety

What's the legal requirements for landlords to provide in respect of fire safety?

For example, fire alarms, fire doors, escape windows etc.

Thanks.

This is a bit vague. What sort of property are you letting? Minimum I install in a purpose built flat or a house is fire blanket in the kitchen and fire alarms in the hall and on the upstairs landing. You could do CO2 alarm as well if you have gas fires.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thanks Interlaken.
      The property is a two-bedroomed back-to-back terrace with a staircase leading upstairs from the kitchen.
      Are fire-blankets and smoke-alarms a legal requirement?
      And is a fire-door at the bottom of the stairs a requirement also?

Comment

Originally posted by Cisnes View Post
        The property is a two-bedroomed back-to-back terrace with a staircase leading upstairs from the kitchen.
        Are fire-blankets and smoke-alarms a legal requirement?
        And is a fire-door at the bottom of the stairs a requirement also?
        As far as I'm aware, for a rented non-HMO property like that there are no specific requirements at all relating to fire precautions other than the building regulations.

Building regs certainly have stuff to say about this; however the regs in force depends on when the property was built or converted, and they are not retrospective; which means that the precuations necessary in a new build will be massively different to a those in a Victorian terrace.

That said, if there are specific concerns that a property is dangerous, a complaint to the all-powerful Environmental Health Officer is likely to bring about changes.

Are you the LL or tenant here?

Comment

Thanks for your reply Eric.

I'm the landlord, and whilst obviously I want to make the house as safe as possible I don't want to do anything that may compromise me at a later date.

For instance if I fitted smoke alarms or provided fire blankets, and then they failed or the tenant removed the batteries, I wouldn't want to be held liable if there was a fire.

That's why I was asking about the legal requirements rather than what others have done or recommend.

Similarly with the CO alarms, I've had safety checks done on the appliances but not fitted alarms in case they fail and the burden is shifted to me rather than the gas fitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cisnes View Post
            For instance if I fitted smoke alarms or provided fire blankets, and then they failed or the tenant removed the batteries, I wouldn't want to be held liable if there was a fire.
            So you get the tenants to sign a release letter... http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/member...armRelease.pdf
            http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/member...eDetectors.pdf

Comment

Thanks Eric

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X