X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
    That said - if a tenant were to injure themselves as a result of no handrail in a situation like this, then the landlord wouldn't have a leg to stand on (as it were). Madness not to fit one.
    Yes, I agree. Preferably one which isn't wobbly and comes off the wall when you're trying to hang onto it, as one did to me, once, in a lighthouse. It's the stuff of nightmares, especially if you suffer from vertigo!

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by Editor View Post
    Yes, it is a legal requirement to have hand rails on stairs - comes under building regulations.
    But like all building regs, they aren't retrospective; so if the property predates the particular reg which specifies such handrails (whenever that may have been), then it wouldn't be a 'legal requirement' as such.

That said - if a tenant were to injure themselves as a result of no handrail in a situation like this, then the landlord wouldn't have a leg to stand on (as it were). Madness not to fit one.

Leave a comment:

• Editor
    replied
    Hand Rails

Yes, it is a legal requirement to have hand rails on stairs - comes under building regulations.
    Inform your landlord and failing action consult with your local authority building control section.

Leave a comment:

• Trigger
    started a topic Hand rail on stairs

Hand rail on stairs

Is it law to have a hand-rail/banister on stairs? I have an upstairs flat which has stairs with solid walls either side, i have lived in this property without, and have rented it out like that for 18 months, but my father recons it should have?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X