Hand rail on stairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand rail on stairs

Is it law to have a hand-rail/banister on stairs? I have an upstairs flat which has stairs with solid walls either side, i have lived in this property without, and have rented it out like that for 18 months, but my father recons it should have?

Hand Rails

Yes, it is a legal requirement to have hand rails on stairs - comes under building regulations.
    Inform your landlord and failing action consult with your local authority building control section.

Comment

Originally posted by Editor View Post
      Yes, it is a legal requirement to have hand rails on stairs - comes under building regulations.
      But like all building regs, they aren't retrospective; so if the property predates the particular reg which specifies such handrails (whenever that may have been), then it wouldn't be a 'legal requirement' as such.

That said - if a tenant were to injure themselves as a result of no handrail in a situation like this, then the landlord wouldn't have a leg to stand on (as it were). Madness not to fit one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        That said - if a tenant were to injure themselves as a result of no handrail in a situation like this, then the landlord wouldn't have a leg to stand on (as it were). Madness not to fit one.
        Yes, I agree. Preferably one which isn't wobbly and comes off the wall when you're trying to hang onto it, as one did to me, once, in a lighthouse. It's the stuff of nightmares, especially if you suffer from vertigo!
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X