Hand rail on stairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand rail on stairs

Is it law to have a hand-rail/banister on stairs? I have an upstairs flat which has stairs with solid walls either side, i have lived in this property without, and have rented it out like that for 18 months, but my father recons it should have?

Hand Rails

Yes, it is a legal requirement to have hand rails on stairs - comes under building regulations.
    Inform your landlord and failing action consult with your local authority building control section.

Comment

Originally posted by Editor View Post
      Yes, it is a legal requirement to have hand rails on stairs - comes under building regulations.
      But like all building regs, they aren't retrospective; so if the property predates the particular reg which specifies such handrails (whenever that may have been), then it wouldn't be a 'legal requirement' as such.

That said - if a tenant were to injure themselves as a result of no handrail in a situation like this, then the landlord wouldn't have a leg to stand on (as it were). Madness not to fit one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        That said - if a tenant were to injure themselves as a result of no handrail in a situation like this, then the landlord wouldn't have a leg to stand on (as it were). Madness not to fit one.
        Yes, I agree. Preferably one which isn't wobbly and comes off the wall when you're trying to hang onto it, as one did to me, once, in a lighthouse. It's the stuff of nightmares, especially if you suffer from vertigo!
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to EICR Confusion
          by tatemono
          I asked elsewhere but haven't had a response yet to my question about what to do if I had a rewire in a property and was issued a BS 7671 Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate for the property. Is this DEIC the equivalent of an EICR or do I need to get the latter done now?
          14-07-2020, 18:10 PM
        • EICR Confusion
          by Ruswh
          I’ve had the EICR done on my rental property and also the remedial work, just need to get the certificate and pay the invoice now.
          The guidance on the gov.uk website states :
          • Supply written confirmation of the completion of the remedial works from the electrician to the tenant and the local
          13-07-2020, 22:43 PM
          by baldelectrician
          The contractor should give you an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) for the works, or a minor electrical works cert if the job was only altering a circuit.
          You should get a BS 5839 Pt6 cert for any smoke alarms.

You should contact the contractor in the first instance requesting...
          14-07-2020, 01:19 AM
          by JK0
          I've just had the same rigmarole. My agent arranged the EICR & remedial work to be done by the same firm. I asked for either a clean EICR or a letter confirming that the installation now met the requirements. Neither was forthcoming, despite several requests.

Agent has now been sacked,...
          13-07-2020, 22:50 PM
        • New fuse box - do i also need EICR report
          by deereay33
          I had an issue with the fuse box at my rental property last week and the tenants could not get hold of me so rang an emergency electrician who charged me £180 as the main switch had blown. He has now recommended i get a new fuse box and has quoted about £400 for a new fuse box and £130 for an EICR...
          06-07-2020, 16:24 PM
        • Reply to New fuse box - do i also need EICR report
          by tatemono
          posting on this thread because it's a related question: is a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate the same as an EICR? I have DEICs for properties that were rewired prior to a couple of (now statutory periodic) tenancies. Do I also have to get an EICR before April next year as well?
          13-07-2020, 16:53 PM
        • Dating of gas certificates
          by AndrewDod
          We all know of the nightmare both tenants hand landlords have scheduling gas engineers for servicing (now more than ever).

I thought it was made somewhat easier by the MOT style dating allowed by parliament in 2018 - or at least I thought allowed - where certificate end-date is carried...
          10-07-2020, 20:05 PM
        • Reply to Dating of gas certificates
          by AndrewDod
          Many thanks. If that is all they did, they did not finish the job. With vehicle MOTs it is clear that the garage/system can give the appropriate date.

Are gas engineers even allowed to write the next test date on the form according to the legislation?
          "Treated for the purposes"...
          10-07-2020, 22:57 PM
          by Ted.E.Bear
          It's a statutory instrutment, so didn't need to be passed by parliament....
          10-07-2020, 21:52 PM
          by boletus
          I understand and agree with what you are saying. But this is not really about tenant safety, it is about housing lawyers and councils abusing the well-intentioned spirit of the law for their own purposes.

It comes down to the landlord to prove it if it comes on top (God help them!)....
          10-07-2020, 21:38 PM
        Working...
        X