Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffrey
    replied
    Plus the alarms which plug into light sockets are less likely to be interfered-with, given that there is no battery capable of being removed for use elsewhere (a regular reason why battery-powered smoke alarms fail to work).

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    The original quote sounds on the steep side, but was it for linked mains-powered alarms? That's the optimum set-up; it means that if one alarm sounds then all of them go off together. However it does mean that not only does the installer have to connect them to the mains (finding a suitable location and circuit to wire them in to) but there also needs to be a new, dedicated cable run installed which interconnects all the alarms. They can be therefore pretty awkward to fit, obviously; especially if you're installing over several floors of a building, and more so if you want concealed (ie not surface-mounted) wiring).

Optimally you'd also have a circuit dedicated to the smoke alarms, which would mean running new cable back to the consumer unit (fuse box) - again ramping up the cost.

So, linked alarms will be more expensive to install; hower as advised earlier, you can get wireless alarms which link without the interlinking cables. More expensive kit, but they cut down on the labour.

Those alarms which plug into light sockets are certainly available; personally I wouldn't go for them in a tenanted property as I think they are too easy to unplug and disable for whatever reason. They won't be interlinked either (unless you can also get radio-linking versions; but I've never heard of them). However, these alarms are the only way you can have mains-powered ones without any disturbance to the floorboards/plaster etc!

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Tesco used to stock them and may still do. The idea is that the unit:
    a. is inserted in the ceiling rose socket;
    b. has its own light socket into which the bulb is inserted; and
    c. contains an inbuilt battery that recharges every time the light is 'on'.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Shona, I think the things you are refering to fit in the light sockets between the socket and bulb - a fire angel.

I don't know if they would be acceptable, but here is a supplier, others may be cheaper/better http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/smoke-alarm.asp

Leave a comment:

• Darren Baird
    replied
    I think you are reffering to radio linked wireless detectors?

Leave a comment:

• arusha
    started a topic Hard wired smoke alarms

Hard wired smoke alarms

Hello,

I just bought and refurbished a new house and one of the list of jobs on my builders list was hard wired smoke alarms. He went bankrupt, stopped returning my calls and now I have virtually completed the refurb. I have only just noticed the smoke alarms he fitted are battery ones.

I have two questions:

How much should it costs to fit three smoke alarms. I have had a quote for £210 which seemes excessive to me. (Bear in mind labour is cheaper in Sheffield)

Are there alternatives?

I remember seeing at a landlord meeting seeing some really clever alternative to hard wired smoke alarms that didn't mean messing up your plaster, lifting floorboards but they were just as good. I have no idea what I have done with the information leaflet I picked up. Any one know what I am talking about?

Shona

Latest Activity

Collapse

• EICR Confusion
    by Ruswh
    I’ve had the EICR done on my rental property and also the remedial work, just need to get the certificate and pay the invoice now.
    The guidance on the gov.uk website states :
    • Supply written confirmation of the completion of the remedial works from the electrician to the tenant and the local
    13-07-2020, 22:43 PM
  • Reply to EICR Confusion
    by tatemono
    I asked elsewhere but haven't had a response yet to my question about what to do if I had a rewire in a property and was issued a BS 7671 Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate for the property. Is this DEIC the equivalent of an EICR or do I need to get the latter done now?
    14-07-2020, 18:10 PM
    by baldelectrician
    The contractor should give you an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) for the works, or a minor electrical works cert if the job was only altering a circuit.
    You should get a BS 5839 Pt6 cert for any smoke alarms.

You should contact the contractor in the first instance requesting...
    14-07-2020, 01:19 AM
    by JK0
    I've just had the same rigmarole. My agent arranged the EICR & remedial work to be done by the same firm. I asked for either a clean EICR or a letter confirming that the installation now met the requirements. Neither was forthcoming, despite several requests.

Agent has now been sacked,...
    13-07-2020, 22:50 PM
  • Reply to New fuse box - do i also need EICR report
    by tatemono
    posting on this thread because it's a related question: is a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate the same as an EICR? I have DEICs for properties that were rewired prior to a couple of (now statutory periodic) tenancies. Do I also have to get an EICR before April next year as well?
    13-07-2020, 16:53 PM
  • New fuse box - do i also need EICR report
    by deereay33
    I had an issue with the fuse box at my rental property last week and the tenants could not get hold of me so rang an emergency electrician who charged me £180 as the main switch had blown. He has now recommended i get a new fuse box and has quoted about £400 for a new fuse box and £130 for an EICR...
    06-07-2020, 16:24 PM
  • Dating of gas certificates
    by AndrewDod
    We all know of the nightmare both tenants hand landlords have scheduling gas engineers for servicing (now more than ever).

I thought it was made somewhat easier by the MOT style dating allowed by parliament in 2018 - or at least I thought allowed - where certificate end-date is carried...
    10-07-2020, 20:05 PM
  • Reply to Dating of gas certificates
    by AndrewDod
    Many thanks. If that is all they did, they did not finish the job. With vehicle MOTs it is clear that the garage/system can give the appropriate date.

Are gas engineers even allowed to write the next test date on the form according to the legislation?
    "Treated for the purposes"...
    10-07-2020, 22:57 PM
    by Ted.E.Bear
    It's a statutory instrutment, so didn't need to be passed by parliament....
    10-07-2020, 21:52 PM
    by boletus
    I understand and agree with what you are saying. But this is not really about tenant safety, it is about housing lawyers and councils abusing the well-intentioned spirit of the law for their own purposes.

It comes down to the landlord to prove it if it comes on top (God help them!)....
    10-07-2020, 21:38 PM
Working...
X