Purchasing new buy to lets... Fire risk assessment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing new buy to lets... Fire risk assessment

I am purchasing 3 flats and the freehold of a three storey building. Each flat is self contained. There is no integrated fire alarm system. Legally what do I have to put in place before letting the flats. They are currently let out.

Each flat will need a fire and carbon monoxide alarm. Does the upper floor flats have rear staircases?
    Ask your local Fire Safety officer to call around from the fire brigade. They are usually very helpful and free (I think).

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I agree with the need to provide self contained fire alarms in each flat and a carbon monoxide detector. I am assuming that there is only one escape route from the upper floor flats? All flat doors should be appropriate fire doors with self closing devices fitted.

Comment

Smoke alarms as part of fire risk assessment

Hi

Usually, in most HMOs, you will be required to install mains powered, cable-linked smoke and heat alarms to BS5839-6 part D. However, this creates large installation costs. A cost saving can be achieved by installing radio-interlinked, mains powered smoke alarms. These can be powered from the nearest light fitting and do not need cable running between units. An even more cost-efficient option is to use battery operated radio-interlinked smoke alarms. However, you need to agree these with fire brigade, building inspector or similar. You would also need to make sure that the batteries would be replaced regularly before they start bleeping!

Harry

Comment

I am in a similar position of having to install an integrated fire alarm system and fire doors. Does any one know where the fire alarm panel has to be located? There is a small cupboard on the middle floor (3 floor property) that already has cabling going to it - If I can have the panel in there it would be great - if it has to be downstairs near the front door then it would be a pain.

Any tips on purchasing alarm systems and fire doors would be appreciated. I did see a system on ebay (110622583950) for £239 which sound very reasonable but not sure if it is of the right standard.

Comment

Assuming the property is in England or Wales.

There should already be a Fire Risk Assessment for the property. Freeholder's and Landlords have had since 2005 to get these in place (under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005). It is an offence not to have carried one out, and acted upon it's recomendations. So calling around the local Fire Officer may set in motion a sequence of events that leads to proscecution. This is, of course, been put in very simple terms / overview.

As the seller's agetn to provide you a copy of the assessment. If one is not available then it's renegociation time.

I would check the HMO status of the property as a building of individual flats do make a registered HMO (which will have more stringent minimum standards) - although it is possible for a flat to be a registered HMO should it meet the criteria (which depends on your local authority).
            There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 2 or 3 stories
              Paulpopb
              I have been given a upgrade order by the council stating fire hazard 1. The inspector insists because the building is 3 stories, ii have to install an interlinked wired fire alarm system.
              I have 2 flats over 2 floors and an attic that has been boarded out in to 2 rooms but on the orders of a previous...
              25-07-2019, 16:02 PM
            • Reply to 2 or 3 stories
              Paulpopb
              I have an appeal in and because of the changes to BS58__ part 6 in May this year it says because of improvement with alarms etc a mains wired alarm and wired control panel is no longer a requirement so I'm optimistic about the appeal.
              04-10-2019, 21:16 PM
            • Hard Wired Sysyem
              Ian2019
              I have a flat that I rent out that has a “tested with tenant” FireAngel ST 750T smoke alarm and a Carbon Monoxide alarm and a fire blanket in the kitchen.
              The Management Company have recently undertaken a Fire Risk Assessment and informed us that all landlords should comply with BS 5839-6...
              24-09-2019, 11:14 AM
            • Reply to Hard Wired Sysyem
              theartfullodger
              Fine: Reply, in writing, stating you have considered that standard. That's all they've asked you to do....
              25-09-2019, 18:52 PM
              Ian2019
              Thank you both for your information, clear and concise.
              i will seriously look at the screwfix alarm option to replace the existing alarm and I take on board your helpful comments and the education update it has provided for myself.
              25-09-2019, 18:14 PM
              leaseholder64
              What they are probably going by is appendix 6 of "Fire Safety in Purpose Built Blocks of Flats", which is the standard reference for risk assessing blocks like yours. This says:

With which you comply unless you have done any major electrical wiring work. And:
              25-09-2019, 12:09 PM
              baldelectrician
              the management company can insist on what they want, I think it is unlikely they can justify you remove a compliant battery system and install a mains one as both now comply with BS 5839 Pt 6 (the standard has been amened as smoke detector and battery technology has developed)

I am fairly...
              25-09-2019, 11:42 AM
              Ian2019
              Leaseholder64 - that now makes sense. I purchased my flat 12 years ago (to live in - with a glazed door) - but have now married and live at my wife’s flat - hence we rent my old one out. Having had a couple of “bad” tenants - I am beginning to think seriously about selling it now. Thank you.
              24-09-2019, 17:18 PM
              leaseholder64
              If it is a purpose built flat, below you and has proper fire doors, the fire should be contained. The smoke alarms in those flats don't protect you, only the occupiers of those flats. On the other hand their entrance door does protect you.
              24-09-2019, 17:10 PM
              leaseholder64
              No it is nowhere near major work in the sense I used. I'm not even sure if completely rewiring the electrics would trigger the requirements.

On the other hand, it does appear that over 50% of the flats have been owned by criminals, at one time or another, as replacing a fire door with...
              24-09-2019, 17:09 PM
            Working...
            X