Gas & Electrical Inspections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas & Electrical Inspections

I had a Gas & Electrical Inspection done last year by Gas-Elec. The certificate expires at the end of this month and my tenants have just moved out.

Can anyone please advise if I'm required by law to have Gas and Electrical inspections?

Many thanks.

Yes and No

Gas - Yes, Electric - No
    And only if you've got tenants in; while the property is empty you do not need any certificate. The gas inspection certificate simply needs to be ready to hand to your next tenant on the day they move in

Comment

Most reputable agents will not look for a tenant for a property unless they have a current gas safety certificate on file. A few insist on this for electrical safety, but there is no legal requirement for such a certificate to be in force.

P.P.
      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by Distorted Vision View Post
        I had a Gas & Electrical Inspection done last year by Gas-Elec. The certificate expires at the end of this month and my tenants have just moved out.

Can anyone please advise if I'm required by law to have Gas and Electrical inspections?

Many thanks.
        Why did you have gas & electrical inspections last year?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyLandlord View Post
          Why did you have gas & electrical inspections last year?
          Presumably he's gone for this offering...

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
            Presumably he's gone for this offering...
            Their electrical inspection does not appear to be what I am used to having for the safety of the electrical wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyLandlord View Post
              Their electrical inspection does not appear to be what I am used to having for the safety of the electrical wiring.
              Indeed. As any testing at all is entirely voluntary, I suppose they can get away with whatever they like. I notice they also offer (separately) Periodic testing, which presumably is kosher testing. Wonder how the costs compare.

Comment

Gas and electrical testing

Hi all

I have come across this thread and have a couple of observations to make. Firstly, we need to be careful about the thoery that if you do not know about a problem that it is not a problem - it is. This is a line that I have heard peddled by some letting agents, that you might be better off not knowing about electrical problems, not knowing will keep you out of trouble!

I would not like to be relying on this in any court. So, the question is do we need to do electrical testing. In a word yes, and I'll expand on that below. In the same way as I need to get my car serviced to avoid problems, I need to get my rental properties inspected, tested and where necessary repaired.

Ericthelobster's assertion that any testing is voluntary is clearly incorrect. Otherwise why do landlords get prosecuted for not getting a gas inspection carried out.

As far as electrics go, you might be interested in a publication called "Landlord's guide to electrical safety" published by the Electrical Safety Council (ESC). The ESC is made up of a number of very well respected authorities in the electrical industry, names that most of us will recognise, such as NICEIC, IEE and others.

The publication does set out some of the legal reasons that electrics should form a part of a maintenance and inspection regieme in a let property:

Landlord and Tenant Act 1985

This act sets out that the electrical installation in a property must be safe at the beginning of a tenancy and be kept in a safe condition throughout the tenancy.

Housing act 2004

The Housing Act 2004 (England and Wales) came into force in April 2006, introducing major changes to the way privately rented homes are assessed and regulated. One important change was the introduction of a new method of risk assessment for residential properties called the Housing, Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)

HHSRS has been developed to assess all hazards that may be present in a residential property and ‘provide a safe and healthy environment for any potential occupiers or visitors’.

There is also reference to matters surrounding how electrical work is carried out and by whom. This refers to the Electricity at Work regulations 1989 and to part P off the building regulations, which require notification of certain types of work to the local authority.

Now, how are you going to ensure that an electrical installation, or indeed any electrical equipment is safe without having an inspection and test done.

In the same way as I cannot make this assessment of my car, I could not start to make such an assessment of any of my properties. Quite frankly I think that anyone who thinks that they can are foolhardy at best and reckless at worst.

It is not a risk that I would consider taking.

I would recommend this publication to any landlords as an aid to keeping us safe.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeo View Post

Ericthelobster's assertion that any testing is voluntary is clearly incorrect. Otherwise why do landlords get prosecuted for not getting a gas inspection carried out.
                  Can you point this out?

Now, how are you going to ensure that an electrical installation, or indeed any electrical equipment is safe without having an inspection and test done.
                  That means it would be need to be done daily.
                  Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Hi "The Saint" A quick look at Google brought this up from the HSE website. I'm sure with a little effort we could come up with more. I'm a little busy for that right now though!

"The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is today warning landlords to ensure the safe condition of tenants’ gas appliances by arranging for CORGI registered installers to carry out annual safety checks and servicing.

This warning follows the prosecution of Paul Clark, a landlord from Southsea in Portsmouth, on Friday 5 May 2006. Mr Clark was fined a total of £42,000, with additional prosecution costs of £18,000, at Winchester Crown Court for breaches of gas safety legislation which led to the fatal carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning of 11-year-old Katie Overton in 2003.
                    "

Comment

Gas; yes, compulsory testing.
                      Electricity: no compulsory testing (although it has been suggested recently).
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Ericthelobster was referring to electrical testing not gas testing and it was in response to something I wrote, which may have given you the wrong idea.

But to your wider point about testing, I do not see that there is any argument against electrical testing, given what is provides, what is can reveal and the minor cost involved.

I would however be wary of any escalating "climate of testing" that governments may deem necessary, for a growing list of "dangers" and "risks", such as formaldehyde in carpets, dyes in wood finishes, UV transmitted through windows etc, all of which might seem laughable now but global warming was a ludicrous idea that was taken seriously quite quickly by eggheads worldwide, who should have know better (at least those who did not collude), but which has now been exposed as nothing more than a subversive scam and an attempt at plain and simple wealth swindle/transfer and not to the people you thought it might go to (the "poor and deserving").

Are we going to see Risk Assessment requirements for every rented property during the next 25 years?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                          Gas; yes, compulsory testing.
                          Electricity: no compulsory testing (although it has been suggested recently).
                          It is however compulsory to assess the risk and decide what testing may be required eg PAT testing.
                          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

True. PAT is, of course, merely for Portable Appliances (i.e. no checking needed for mains supply).
                            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

It would however be difficult to prove (e.g. in the event of an accident/fire) that your electrical installation was /had been safe unless it had been checked by a competent electrician.

So in practice, it makes sense to get one done. They are in fact a requirement of most HMO licences.
                              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X