Does an electrician need to be Part-P registered?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Does an electrician need to be Part-P registered?

    Hi all,
    I am trying to find out the legal requirements for an electrician coming to fix the electrical issues in our house.

    My partners father in law is a Gas Safe engineer and an electrician and knows about most of the regs, he came to our new place and was shocked at the, as he said it, 'cowboy installation of the Gas and Electricity'. He pointed out all the things that were wrong and was quite stern about making sure we got it sorted.

    We informed the landlord about some of the 'issues' in our house, a number of which were electrical.
    The Landlord has organised a 'friend' of hers who she says is a 'professional' electrician.

    I am trying to find out if any electrician that comes to sort out anything to do with electrics in a rented flat (split level maissonette about a shop) do they have to be regsitered - I've had 'Part P' named to me specifically?

    Or (legally) can anyone come?

    Many thanks.

    Yes I would certainly only use an electricial with a Part "P" qualification.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


      Originally posted by Paul_f View Post
      Yes I would certainly only use an electricial with a Part "P" qualification.
      Hi Paul_f, thanks for the response - Just to be pedantic (as I'm stepping a fine line between having a good relationship with the Landlady and wanting things to be sorted correctly), is that a recommendation or is that a legal requirement?




        Does an electrician need to be Part-P registered for new works, Answer yes.

        But the previous works done doesn't have to be, ie. if the LL did the works themself then they don't have to be part 'P'.

        But the LL has a Duty of care to the 'T' and if anything happened to you because of the electrics, they be in serious trouble.

        If the Gas is unsafe you should not use it, and call "British Gas" and get a independant report and then the LL will need to repair it.
        Disclaimer: What I say is either right or wrong. It may be advisable to check what I say with a solicitor. If he says I am right then I am right, unless he is wrong in which case I am wrong; but if he says I am wrong then I am wrong, unless he is wrong in which case I am right


          Were all the Gas issues alluded to dealt with satisfactorily and rectified to make the gas supply and all gas appliances safe?

          As for treading a fine line between keeping LL happy and your safety, what is more important?

          Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.


            I understood that when there is a new tenant the LL has to provide a CP12 Gas Safety Certificate within 28 days of them taking the lease.

            Surely pressing the LL to get this done will sort the gas issue, if they refuse then it is off to the HSE for enforcement.


              Gas cert

              best practice is to provide a copy gas cert that has been issued within the last 12 months at inception of the tenancy rather than within 28 days thereafter


                Firstly, the guy came to fix the bits - he was not a qualified electrician and so only did the odd-jobs, he also mentioned how some of the work in the house was a bit shoddy.

                The tenancy was managed through a lettings agent with the tenants before us - Paige and Petrook.

                The Landlady said she thought she had the Gas Safety & Electrical Safety certificates, but it turns out that Paige and Petrook had them.
                The Electrical Safety is current apparently, but Gas Safety is out of date.
                Paige and Petrook are sending her the Electrical Safety documents.

                As someone who has dealt with Paige and Petrook in my area, I am not surprised that they did not mention to the Landlady that she was obliged under law to provide the Gas Safety upon signing of the contract, or that it was not in-date, or that they did not give her the Electrical Safety document...or inform her that these items should be in the house or available to the tenants directly.

                The Landlady has said she will organise a Gas Safe engineer to come do the safety inspection and an electrician to fix the electrical bits.

                She seems to be sorting things out so don't want to press her.

                Thanks for the advice so far all!




                  Yes! Electrician should produce a certificate and Part P notification to your local aurthority (UK). Because a good electrician should be able to give you a good idea.


                    Technically, I don't think that there is a requirement for an electrician to be "part P" qualified. However if new work is done in areas where Part P requirements are to be met, then the electrician has to contact the local authority building inspector who will carry out the necessary inspection and issue the required Part P certification provided the work fulfills the requirements of part P.

                    However, I stand to be corrected!

                    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


                      There are 2 seperate issues here

                      Part P is Building Regs

                      BS7671 is the wiring regs.

                      The wiring regs apply all over the UK and require a paper trail and testing to be carried out- it happens less often than it should

                      What is most important is that persons carrying out electrical work are compotent
                      You should use a competent person for the work, links below
                      In Scotland:
                      Individuals registered;
                      In England and Wales:


                        Originally posted by mjbfire View Post
                        Does an electrician need to be Part-P registered for new works, Answer yes.
                        Answer, no!

                        The regulations only state that the person has to be competent. One way to prove this is the relevant C&G qualifications (2381 and others, I think).

                        Part P is a requirement in Building Regulations for applicable work to be notified to the local authority. How you do that is up to you. The cheapest way is to use an electrician who is registered with a competent person scheme who is allowed to self-certify the work and notify the council.

                        The most expensive way is to ask the council to come out and inspect. You may save money on the electrician, but also the work may not be up to scratch and therefore need doing again, resulting in more costs.

                        Part P is pretty much pointless now the councils have lost interest in it - only real relevence is when you sell the house, IMO. The important thing is you have an installation certificate whenever you get work done, and a periodic inspection report every x years.
                        Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

                        I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned


                        Latest Activity