Fire (heat) alarm in the kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire (heat) alarm in the kitchen

We have a fire alarm of the heat-detection kind sitting right above the oven, i.e. way too close. It goes off every once in a while when we cook and it's very very loud, and because it's heat and not smoke we need to open all windows to make the room cool out - waving a newspaper etc under it does not immediately help.

Now we want it moved, but it's connected to the mains electricity. Are we in the right to demand it to be moved away from the oven?

Originally posted by tecSV View Post
    Now we want it moved, but it's connected to the mains electricity. Are we in the right to demand it to be moved away from the oven?
    I don't know; but a simpler 'demand' might be to request it be replaced for an alternative, better model (ie located in the same position, which would be much easier to achieve).

Obviously I wouldn't know whether your current detector has been fitted too close to a heat source, or whether it's faulty (or overly sensitive). It's certainly possible to buy alarms which have a temporary 'override mute' facility, which you can press to silence the sounder for 5 minutes or so in the event of a false alarm.

Comment

If you're asking whether the landlord has a legal obligation to move the alarm; then no, I don't think so. It doesn't fall under the statutory repairing obligations, and it isn't a health or safety hazard.

If it went off every single time you cooked, or regularly woke you up in the middle of the night for no reason, then I would tentatively guess that it might arguably constitute a breach of quiet enjoyment; but as you say it "goes off every once in a while" (once a month? less often?) that doesn't really suggest it's causing a serious nuisance or interference.

It doesn't sound faulty if it's going off as a result of heat/smoke like it's meant to. And alarms are very loud for a very good reason. It might well be incorrectly sited but there can be false alarms even with correctly sited alarms.

If it bothers you that much, then ask the landlord if he would mind moving it and if he refuses, then offer to pay for it to be moved. Personally, I'd just be happy knowing that there is an efficient fire safety system installed in the property.

Comment

Perhaps, there is a way of adjusting the sensitivity?

I have them fitted in a few properties, but I have never had any complaints.....

Comment

We have a fire alarm of the heat-detection kind sitting right above the oven, i.e. way too close. It goes off every once in a while when we cook and it's very very loud, and because it's heat and not smoke we need to open all windows to make the room cool out - waving a newspaper etc under it does not immediately help.

Are you sure it’s a heat detector?? You would need substantial heat to operate it normally the flames would need to be 2/3 the height of the room!! It may be a combined heat/smoke detector. I would move it centrally on the kitchen ceiling, a qualified electrician should be able to do this for you at minimal cost.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X