Housing Association responsibilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing Association responsibilities

A friend of mine is a tenant of a housing association who recently had her home modernised which included installation of a new gas heating system via a combi boiler. Some of the work is very shoddy but what concerns me is the discharge pipe from the pressure relief valve is situated directly above her back door and has not been turned into the wall which I thought was normal practice.
    I'm preparing a snagging list and would have thought a gas safe certificate should have been provided to say that the appliance is working safely and installed correctly by a registered engineer....surely a RSL has the same responsibilities as a private landlord?

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated....Bill

Latest Activity

Collapse

• what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
    daxu
    Hi,
    I have a one bed flat that is let out at the moment. I asked an electrician to change the fusebox to a consumer unit and asked him for a cost of changing my battery smoke alarm to a main conntected one.

What he told me is that I need two alarms, one smoke alarm and one heat alarm...
    21-07-2017, 10:02 AM
  • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
    leaseholder64
    Agreed. My use of open flue was wrong. The theory of the legislation is that the annual inspection and the well controlled nature of the fuel should mean that a problem is detected before it becomes dangerous, but there is no inspection regime for solid fuel.
    23-07-2017, 22:57 PM
    jjlandlord
    Not to be pedantic but CO alarms are required in rooms where there is a solid-fuel appliance. So an open gas fire would not require one.
    23-07-2017, 22:40 PM
    Stef Cooke
    Is this becoming 'a thing'?

I have had a run in with a, well, I don't know what he was, to be honest! Not an electrician, not a surveyor.. his card said something like "Property Inspection and Surveys" - so had assumed he was a clerk with some of the other possible certs added...
    23-07-2017, 14:20 PM
  • CP12 Question
    rfph1
    Sorry if this has been asked before, and sorry for posting rather than waiting to see what happens !

I have just had my gas appliances serviced, and safety inspection carried out (for a landlords gas safety certificate - CP12).

There was a fault which the engineer classified...
    20-07-2017, 22:13 PM
  • Reply to CP12 Question
    MrShed
    Just for interest - I once had a (personal, not BTL) house where there was a smell of gas near the meter. Called the gas company, instructed (obviously) to turn the gas off at the meter - smell continued.

Was told to leave the property IMMEDIATELY and they had someone there within 15 minutes....
    21-07-2017, 15:45 PM
    mariner
    Don't 'think', do your own research. FB is a good place to start.

Battery operated alarms are fine for a non-HMO unless Council Registration is poss required. Suggest LL replaces batt alarms every 3 years, as detectors deteriorate. Mains powered alarms should replaced every 10 years...
    21-07-2017, 15:18 PM
    daxu
    Many thanks, I think you guys are right
    21-07-2017, 11:34 AM
    jpkeates
    You're (obviously) right, no idea how I managed to so badly mangle that sentence!...
    21-07-2017, 11:09 AM
    leaseholder64
    You need a CO detector only if there is an open flue device, not only if there is not one. You always need one smoke detector per floor.

The interlinked smoke and heat combination is current best practice for rented properties, and, if you are subject to landlord licensing, might be required...
    21-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Working...
X