Letting flat; are fire doors a legal requirement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting flat; are fire doors a legal requirement?

As a first-time landlord, I'm so glad to have found this forum.

I have a one-bed ex-local flat that I've been living in for the last four years or so.

The front door opens into a hallway, off which there are four rooms (bathroom, kitchen, lounge and bedroom). However, when I moved in, doors had been taken off the kitchen and lounge, so both rooms open directly onto the hallway.

One estate agent has told me that I will need fire doors fitted to both rooms. Another has said that I shouldn't need doors fitted on either (but will check as I may need them fitted on the kitchen). The doors already fitted on the bathroom and bedroom are not fire doors.

I have working smoke alarms in both the hallway and the lounge. Does anyone know if the landlord is responsible for fitting fire doors?

Thanks in advance.

If its not a HMO, I dont think they can make you do anything inside your flat.
    It will only be a HMO if you have more than 2 unrelated people living in it, or the flat is part of a converted house/building, rather than purpose built.

Ask your agent to what regulations are they referring to?

The communal area should have a fire risk assessment done; who is the manager of the communal area?
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

You will clearly need to fit some sort of doors, as I think you will struggle to let a flat without internal doors. Fire doors do improve safety (they give a minimum of 30 mins fire resistance - which can save lives). Fire doors do not cost much more than ordinary doors.

I'd go for fire doors even if they are not legally required.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks for your advice.

The flat will be let to a maximum of 2 people, as it's a one-bed flat. There are internal doors - on the bedroom and bathroom. We haven't had any comments yet from prospective tenants expecting to see them on the living room or kitchen. (I'd moved into this flat for over a week before I noticed there wasn't a door on the living room!)

The communal area is owned by the local authority (as the flat is ex-local) so the doors on the front of the building etc. all adhere to regulations. It is a purpose-built flat.

Thank you.

Laura

Comment

If the kitchen opens into the hallway, and you have to get past the kitchen to get to the front door, then I'd advise putting a fire door on it. The hallway is the main escape route in case of fire, and the kitchen itself is a higher fire risk area than anyother room in the flat!

Comment

Thanks - the kitchen does open on to the hallway, but you don't have to get past it to get out of the flat - it's the furthest room away from the front door. Appreciate advice though, and if any prospective tenants moot that they would like a door on either the kitchen or the living room, I will definitely invest in a fire door rather than a standard one.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• CP12 Question
              rfph1
              Sorry if this has been asked before, and sorry for posting rather than waiting to see what happens !

I have just had my gas appliances serviced, and safety inspection carried out (for a landlords gas safety certificate - CP12).

There was a fault which the engineer classified...
              20-07-2017, 22:13 PM
            • Problem with air to electricity heat source
              Wright76
              Not sure if anyone here can help as it relates to a housing association.

my friend moved into a housing association property 2 years ago. Village has no gas and is all electricity with heating being provided by an air to electricity heat source pump and hot water heated by panels on roof....
              13-07-2017, 09:36 AM
            • Reply to Problem with air to electricity heat source
              Wright76
              Small update. An electrician visited from housing association yesterday and witnessed what is happening. He had no training on the air source heat pump but verified that the cost Is off the scale and that the heat it is generating is not entering the house.

He suspects as someone on here...
              20-07-2017, 10:46 AM
            • Saturday Lad
              JK0
              A friend's son is 15, and I have suggested he might want to come & help with my renovation projects on Saturdays, for some pocket money.

I will increase my landlord's cover to include employer's insurance, and buy him safety shoes and an overall. Is there anything I have overlook...
              18-12-2016, 07:47 AM
            • Reply to Saturday Lad
              JK0
              I guess the Dad would have to know how to do the work to show the child in the first place. My friend is completely useless. I found a curtain track at the flat which I know he needs. He is incapable of putting it up without me supervising. I hope in due course his son will be able to supervise Dad....
              18-07-2017, 20:40 PM
            • Reply to Saturday Lad
              MisterB
              what I fail to understand is that we are supposed to be a nation of 'diy'ers. yet it seems that a lot of younger people cant even change a plug. don't their parents get them to do anything 'maintenance' wise ?...
              18-07-2017, 20:14 PM
            • Gas Check Built In Cooker
              Shaunagus
              Hi

hiping you can help. I can't find anything on this particular issue.

When the agent originally let one of my flats they orgnajsed a gas safety check of the boiler but not the gas cooker. I've since taken over managing the tenancy myself and have read that all gas appliances...
              14-07-2017, 11:50 AM
            • Reply to Gas Check Built In Cooker
              Shaunagus
              Ok thanks will mention that to the guy who's coming to look at it...
              17-07-2017, 10:32 AM
            • Reply to Gas Check Built In Cooker
              JK0
              I would take out the fridge, and put in the hall, then unscrew that wine rack. Then you might see what is stopping the cooker coming out. It might be floor leveling screed that is stopping its feet moving.

You might even get away without trimming anything, as your oven doors seem to be...
              17-07-2017, 06:44 AM
            • Attic bedroom safety for historic conversion
              bowsden
              Hello. I'm a new BtL landlord and have just bought an upper flat with two bedrooms, one in the attic. The conversion is very old and there is no paperwork associated with it. It has been let out for 30 years previously and is very tired, so I intend to freshen it up, put double glazing in and let it...
              14-07-2017, 08:59 AM
            Working...
            X