Letting flat; are fire doors a legal requirement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting flat; are fire doors a legal requirement?

As a first-time landlord, I'm so glad to have found this forum.

I have a one-bed ex-local flat that I've been living in for the last four years or so.

The front door opens into a hallway, off which there are four rooms (bathroom, kitchen, lounge and bedroom). However, when I moved in, doors had been taken off the kitchen and lounge, so both rooms open directly onto the hallway.

One estate agent has told me that I will need fire doors fitted to both rooms. Another has said that I shouldn't need doors fitted on either (but will check as I may need them fitted on the kitchen). The doors already fitted on the bathroom and bedroom are not fire doors.

I have working smoke alarms in both the hallway and the lounge. Does anyone know if the landlord is responsible for fitting fire doors?

Thanks in advance.

If its not a HMO, I dont think they can make you do anything inside your flat.
    It will only be a HMO if you have more than 2 unrelated people living in it, or the flat is part of a converted house/building, rather than purpose built.

Ask your agent to what regulations are they referring to?

The communal area should have a fire risk assessment done; who is the manager of the communal area?
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

You will clearly need to fit some sort of doors, as I think you will struggle to let a flat without internal doors. Fire doors do improve safety (they give a minimum of 30 mins fire resistance - which can save lives). Fire doors do not cost much more than ordinary doors.

I'd go for fire doors even if they are not legally required.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks for your advice.

The flat will be let to a maximum of 2 people, as it's a one-bed flat. There are internal doors - on the bedroom and bathroom. We haven't had any comments yet from prospective tenants expecting to see them on the living room or kitchen. (I'd moved into this flat for over a week before I noticed there wasn't a door on the living room!)

The communal area is owned by the local authority (as the flat is ex-local) so the doors on the front of the building etc. all adhere to regulations. It is a purpose-built flat.

Thank you.

Laura

Comment

If the kitchen opens into the hallway, and you have to get past the kitchen to get to the front door, then I'd advise putting a fire door on it. The hallway is the main escape route in case of fire, and the kitchen itself is a higher fire risk area than anyother room in the flat!

Comment

Thanks - the kitchen does open on to the hallway, but you don't have to get past it to get out of the flat - it's the furthest room away from the front door. Appreciate advice though, and if any prospective tenants moot that they would like a door on either the kitchen or the living room, I will definitely invest in a fire door rather than a standard one.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X