Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot gain access to my gas/electric meter readings

I own a flat and rent it out.
    My tennants used to check their meter readings on entering and exiting the flat - nice and easy.
    Recently a lady has taken control of the management of the flats and put a lock on the door that allows access to the readings and if any readings are needed I am to contact her to open the door up.
    This is firstly frustrating all round but most importantly is it legal? - thanks

1. Does this lady act for you, the freehold reversioner/management company, or who else?
    2. Are the meters inside or outside the flat?
    3. Whom do the Statutory Undertakings bill: you or T?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Cannot gain access to my gas/electric meter readings

Thanks for your reply

1. Does this lady act for you, the freehold reversioner/management company, or who else?
      She doesn't work for me, she calls herself the company in charge

2. Are the meters inside or outside the flat?
      The meters are int the hall way which gives access to several flats

3. Whom do the Statutory Undertakings bill: you or T?
      T pays for there own bills

Comment

It is illegal to place a lock on a gas meter housing if the emergency control valve is situated within the housing, i.e you cant shut the gas off in cases of emergencies. I assume the electrical regs state the same, if the main fuse boards are situated within.

Comment

Originally posted by jenjohnston View Post
          She doesn't work for me, she calls herself the company in charge.
          So demand that she identify which person/company empowers her.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
            daxu
            Hi,
            I have a one bed flat that is let out at the moment. I asked an electrician to change the fusebox to a consumer unit and asked him for a cost of changing my battery smoke alarm to a main conntected one.

What he told me is that I need two alarms, one smoke alarm and one heat alarm...
            21-07-2017, 10:02 AM
          • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
            leaseholder64
            Agreed. My use of open flue was wrong. The theory of the legislation is that the annual inspection and the well controlled nature of the fuel should mean that a problem is detected before it becomes dangerous, but there is no inspection regime for solid fuel.
            23-07-2017, 22:57 PM
            jjlandlord
            Not to be pedantic but CO alarms are required in rooms where there is a solid-fuel appliance. So an open gas fire would not require one.
            23-07-2017, 22:40 PM
            Stef Cooke
            Is this becoming 'a thing'?

I have had a run in with a, well, I don't know what he was, to be honest! Not an electrician, not a surveyor.. his card said something like "Property Inspection and Surveys" - so had assumed he was a clerk with some of the other possible certs added...
            23-07-2017, 14:20 PM
          • CP12 Question
            rfph1
            Sorry if this has been asked before, and sorry for posting rather than waiting to see what happens !

I have just had my gas appliances serviced, and safety inspection carried out (for a landlords gas safety certificate - CP12).

There was a fault which the engineer classified...
            20-07-2017, 22:13 PM
          • Reply to CP12 Question
            MrShed
            Just for interest - I once had a (personal, not BTL) house where there was a smell of gas near the meter. Called the gas company, instructed (obviously) to turn the gas off at the meter - smell continued.

Was told to leave the property IMMEDIATELY and they had someone there within 15 minutes....
            21-07-2017, 15:45 PM
            mariner
            Don't 'think', do your own research. FB is a good place to start.

Battery operated alarms are fine for a non-HMO unless Council Registration is poss required. Suggest LL replaces batt alarms every 3 years, as detectors deteriorate. Mains powered alarms should replaced every 10 years...
            21-07-2017, 15:18 PM
            daxu
            Many thanks, I think you guys are right
            21-07-2017, 11:34 AM
            jpkeates
            You're (obviously) right, no idea how I managed to so badly mangle that sentence!...
            21-07-2017, 11:09 AM
            leaseholder64
            You need a CO detector only if there is an open flue device, not only if there is not one. You always need one smoke detector per floor.

The interlinked smoke and heat combination is current best practice for rented properties, and, if you are subject to landlord licensing, might be required...
            21-07-2017, 10:48 AM
          Working...
          X