Fire alarm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire alarm

Does anyone know if I can sue the landlords for having a faulty fire alarm that goes off about 12 times a week every week at all hours. I have been living here for about 6 months and this seems to be the norm around here. The place is for senoirs and they mostly ignore the alarm which is very loud and the fire department is always here. Pleas let me know who I can contact in dallas texas to sue

J R Ewing?

Comment

Dallas, Texas - my my!!! Why would you think people on a website with a .co.uk suffix might be able to help you? We are a UK website for England and Wales - based problems.

I hope you get it sorted though!! I can imagine that it would be really annoying to have a fire alarm going off all the time.
      Mrs Jones
      I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

I also notice, aside from being in a completely different country that your question wasn't, "What is the best way to resolve this problem?" but "Who can I sue?"

Comment

Well, he is American (I guess) and that is the culture there. Always someone to blame and sue.... Unfortunately, it is catching on here!!!
          Mrs Jones
          I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by mantisking View Post
            Does anyone know if I can sue the landlords for having a faulty fire alarm that goes off about 12 times a week every week at all hours. I have been living here for about 6 months and this seems to be the norm around here. The place is for senoirs and they mostly ignore the alarm which is very loud and the fire department is always here. Pleas let me know who I can contact in dallas texas to sue
            First step; write a letter of complaint to the landlord/management commitee. You haven't said that you have done this yet
            All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Originally posted by red40 View Post
              J R Ewing?
              Bobby is more likely to be sympathetic
              All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
                Bobby is more likely to be sympathetic
                But he's dead. Unless it was all a dream
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by thevaliant View Post
                  I also notice, aside from being in a completely different country that your question wasn't, "What is the best way to resolve this problem?" but "Who can I sue?"
                  Why not, "Whom can I sue?" anyway?
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
                    daxu
                    Hi,
                    I have a one bed flat that is let out at the moment. I asked an electrician to change the fusebox to a consumer unit and asked him for a cost of changing my battery smoke alarm to a main conntected one.

What he told me is that I need two alarms, one smoke alarm and one heat alarm...
                    21-07-2017, 10:02 AM
                  • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
                    tatemono
                    on a side note... I'd be a rich man if I had a quid for every time a builder has mentioned CO2 detectors.
                    24-07-2017, 09:06 AM
                    MrShed
                    The law is pedantic, and therefore so should we be ...
                    24-07-2017, 08:33 AM
                    leaseholder64
                    Agreed. My use of open flue was wrong. The theory of the legislation is that the annual inspection and the well controlled nature of the fuel should mean that a problem is detected before it becomes dangerous, but there is no inspection regime for solid fuel.
                    23-07-2017, 22:57 PM
                    jjlandlord
                    Not to be pedantic but CO alarms are required in rooms where there is a solid-fuel appliance. So an open gas fire would not require one.
                    23-07-2017, 22:40 PM
                    Stef Cooke
                    Is this becoming 'a thing'?

I have had a run in with a, well, I don't know what he was, to be honest! Not an electrician, not a surveyor.. his card said something like "Property Inspection and Surveys" - so had assumed he was a clerk with some of the other possible certs added...
                    23-07-2017, 14:20 PM
                  • CP12 Question
                    rfph1
                    Sorry if this has been asked before, and sorry for posting rather than waiting to see what happens !

I have just had my gas appliances serviced, and safety inspection carried out (for a landlords gas safety certificate - CP12).

There was a fault which the engineer classified...
                    20-07-2017, 22:13 PM
                  • Reply to CP12 Question
                    MrShed
                    Just for interest - I once had a (personal, not BTL) house where there was a smell of gas near the meter. Called the gas company, instructed (obviously) to turn the gas off at the meter - smell continued.

Was told to leave the property IMMEDIATELY and they had someone there within 15 minutes....
                    21-07-2017, 15:45 PM
                    mariner
                    Don't 'think', do your own research. FB is a good place to start.

Battery operated alarms are fine for a non-HMO unless Council Registration is poss required. Suggest LL replaces batt alarms every 3 years, as detectors deteriorate. Mains powered alarms should replaced every 10 years...
                    21-07-2017, 15:18 PM
                    daxu
                    Many thanks, I think you guys are right
                    21-07-2017, 11:34 AM
                  Working...
                  X