Electrical safety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical safety

Does a rented property need an electrical safety certificate?

The house is let unfurnished with no white goods or any other electrical appliances.

There is currently no legal requirement for an electrical inspection.
    However, it is generally recommended that you have one done and it does not cost very much.

If the inspection unearths something that could have caused a problem either to the tenant, to you or to both, you will be very thankful it was found by an electrician and not by a lay person, if you see what I mean.

Comment

Did I not hear some talk a year or so ago about them bringing in such a requirement?

Comment

Originally posted by Jolanta Nowak View Post
        Did I not hear some talk a year or so ago about them bringing in such a requirement?
        There has been talk for some time.
        Some letting agents actually think its now a requirement, but its not - yet.

Comment

I understood it was a legal requirement for the electric to have been tested and certificate issued by an NICEIC (or equivalent) registered electrician. This is to help the landlord rather than the tenant because if the tenant did something stupid with the electrics and the landlord had not had them tested where is your proof that they were safe at the date of occupation. Even if it is not a legal requirement is not just good practise to have one done.

Comment

It is a legal requirement to have such a certificate every 5 years for an HMO, covering the electrical installation, plus it is recommended that all portable electrical appliances are safety-checked yearly.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
              If the inspection unearths something that could have caused a problem either to the tenant, to you or to both, you will be very thankful it was found by an electrician and not by a lay person, if you see what I mean.
              ...especially if it unearths something unneutral- or else OP ends up unlive.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Some time ago my ex LL told me that she had to get a powerpoint (I think) moved in the kitchen as it didn't fit in with some sort of regulations. It's only now that I've left that I realise a year later, nothing was done.

Comment

Not sure if this will help, but I was told yesterday it isn't a legal requierment yet, but advised to do it. I will this time as one of the problems ive got with my ex T is several smashed sockets and a smashed light fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by neil.daines View Post
                    Not sure if this will help, but I was told yesterday it isn't a legal requierment yet, but advised to do it. I will this time as one of the problems ive got with my ex T is several smashed sockets and a smashed light fitting.
                    What the hell is going on in your house?

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                      What the hell is going on in your house?
                      They spend all their time getting smashed- not just alcopops but alcochildren!
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Commercial electric certificate

I am renting out a commercial property (car showroom etc) on a full repairing lease. The tenant who is repsonsible for the contents insurance has just been advised by his insurers that they need an electrical safety certificate.
                        We have spoken to our insurers and they said it is not required.
                        Is this a legal requirement on comercial property and if not can the insurance copmany insist on one?

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine View Post
                          I am renting out a commercial property (car showroom etc) on a full repairing lease. The tenant who is repsonsible for the contents insurance has just been advised by his insurers that they need an electrical safety certificate.
                          We have spoken to our insurers and they said it is not required.
                          Is this a legal requirement on comercial property and if not can the insurance copmany insist on one?
                          Please re-post this item on COMMERCIAL PROPERTY forum, where more replies will be forthcoming.

Comment

I think that some of the confusion comes from the fact that I believe there is a requirement now for any (new) electrical installation work to be checked by an electrician qualified to carry out such checks and a certificate issued indicating that such works have been carried out in a satisfactory and safe manner.

I have had a lot of electrical work done on one of my properties and I have just checked some documentation issued to me - it is called a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate and was "issed in accordance with British Standard 7671 - Requirements for Electrical Installations by a Domestic Installer registered with the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC)"

I am not 100% sure that this is a legal requirement, but I certainly felt happier to have had all the installation checked and certificated. I believe a different type of certificate is issued if the equipment/installations inspected are not new.

The Landlord/Home Owner Gas Safety Record is issued annually after a check by a Corgi registered operative and is a legal requirement for all let properties with gas installations.
                            Mrs Jones
                            I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
                              daxu
                              Hi,
                              I have a one bed flat that is let out at the moment. I asked an electrician to change the fusebox to a consumer unit and asked him for a cost of changing my battery smoke alarm to a main conntected one.

What he told me is that I need two alarms, one smoke alarm and one heat alarm...
                              21-07-2017, 10:02 AM
                            • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
                              tatemono
                              on a side note... I'd be a rich man if I had a quid for every time a builder has mentioned CO2 detectors.
                              24-07-2017, 09:06 AM
                              MrShed
                              The law is pedantic, and therefore so should we be ...
                              24-07-2017, 08:33 AM
                              leaseholder64
                              Agreed. My use of open flue was wrong. The theory of the legislation is that the annual inspection and the well controlled nature of the fuel should mean that a problem is detected before it becomes dangerous, but there is no inspection regime for solid fuel.
                              23-07-2017, 22:57 PM
                              jjlandlord
                              Not to be pedantic but CO alarms are required in rooms where there is a solid-fuel appliance. So an open gas fire would not require one.
                              23-07-2017, 22:40 PM
                              Stef Cooke
                              Is this becoming 'a thing'?

I have had a run in with a, well, I don't know what he was, to be honest! Not an electrician, not a surveyor.. his card said something like "Property Inspection and Surveys" - so had assumed he was a clerk with some of the other possible certs added...
                              23-07-2017, 14:20 PM
                            • CP12 Question
                              rfph1
                              Sorry if this has been asked before, and sorry for posting rather than waiting to see what happens !

I have just had my gas appliances serviced, and safety inspection carried out (for a landlords gas safety certificate - CP12).

There was a fault which the engineer classified...
                              20-07-2017, 22:13 PM
                            • Reply to CP12 Question
                              MrShed
                              Just for interest - I once had a (personal, not BTL) house where there was a smell of gas near the meter. Called the gas company, instructed (obviously) to turn the gas off at the meter - smell continued.

Was told to leave the property IMMEDIATELY and they had someone there within 15 minutes....
                              21-07-2017, 15:45 PM
                              mariner
                              Don't 'think', do your own research. FB is a good place to start.

Battery operated alarms are fine for a non-HMO unless Council Registration is poss required. Suggest LL replaces batt alarms every 3 years, as detectors deteriorate. Mains powered alarms should replaced every 10 years...
                              21-07-2017, 15:18 PM
                              daxu
                              Many thanks, I think you guys are right
                              21-07-2017, 11:34 AM
                            Working...
                            X