Agent Says Failed EICR - T says sparks only stayed 17 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent Says Failed EICR - T says sparks only stayed 17 minutes

I have a property built in mid 1980s. Agent arranged for an EICR which I understand involves detailed work in checking consumer unit, sockets, light fittings etc. Average time for a small 3 bed detached about 2/3 hours?? Sparks seems to be matey with agent and has stated the house needs complete re-wiring at a cost of 2-4 grand. T reported that sparks arrived at 1.45 and left at 2.02 - confirmed by timed photos from ring type doorbell. So he stayed 17 minutes. Therefore he cannot possibly have done a full EICR in that time. T says he simply glanced at consumer unit, checked nothing )no sockets or fittings) and joked about how much it was going to cost LL in a jocular way.

T says she feels I am being badly ripped off in a way that will eventually be reflected in rent rises down the line. She is elderly, disabled and is very concerned about the mess and disruption. She has accumulated a lot of stuff over the years some of it antiques. T is an extremely good T and we have a long relationship going back many years. I realise that necessary work will have to be done.I have offered T use of my empty property nearby or to put her up in a hotel.for starters.

T has suggested I have a second EICR done from another independent sparks to find out if a rewire is necessary, or if just a replacement consumer unit and a few other repairs would suffice. She has also offered to get her own sparks to do an EICR so there would then be 3 quotes - "If I were going to spend that money I would want 2.3 quotes from independent contractors and not just go with the one who is pally with the agent". This makes sense to me.

There was a previous appointment for sparks to do the EICR and T states appointment was broken. When T questioned the agent she (agent )said sparks claimed T cancelled the appointment. T had no contact details for workpeople and would have to have done this via agent anyway. I see from email exchanges there were some sharp words between T and agent about this with T saying she did not appreciate being made out to be a liar.

I feel I am caught between a rock and a hard place here.

Just for reference the property I have opposite had the consumer unit replaced after EICR but there was no suggestion of a rewire needed. House is same age/design as the one T lives in and therefore the wiring is similar age in both properties.

Originally posted by Suleiman View Post
    T says she feels I am being badly ripped off in a way that will eventually be reflected in rent rises down the line. She is elderly, disabled and is very concerned about the mess and disruption. She has accumulated a lot of stuff over the years some of it antiques. T is an extremely good T and we have a long relationship going back many years. I realise that necessary work will have to be done.I have offered T use of my empty property nearby or to put her up in a hotel.for starters.
    Well at least your tenant understands how the imposition of arbitrary rules without protection against scam artists is likely to impact on her life.
    Most tenants are less insightful.

Comment

Get your own electrician to do it, if it's in contradiction to the agents, confront them and sack them. As well as reporting the electrician if they are a member of any bodies.

Comment

The first thing to do is ask for a copy of the report and see why it means you need a full rewire.

Comment

Agent and I are meeting the T at the property on wednesday next. I havnt told agent about the camera pictures yet but I know T is going to produce her tablet and show her. It will be interesting to see the response.

Comment

Dare I ask how much you are being charged for this report?

Just remember you are under no obligation to use the spark again

as a spark my advice to all landlord is to never use a spark they appoint

Comment

I agree with the tenant and would expect the agent to explain their reasons for using that tradesperson.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

has your property had 5 yearly electrical safety checks?, did they highlight anything? is it the same company?

Is it a modern style consumer unit, metal or plastic? or an old cartridge style fuse box?

Have the switches & sockets been upgraded?

You can walk in & get a very quick & accurate idea, without any actual testing

But the eicr is a report where the devil is in the detail, I would request the full report before being charged, details of which accreditation the electrician has & if not happy kiss the agent goodbye - I've arranged the gas & electrical tests myself for years after a £75 part became a £300+ job when arranged by agent

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...C8STP8w-o1Z129

Comment

This is the best guide for homeowners and landlords

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...149/bpg4-1.pdf

Comment

Your tenant is clearly one to keep as they are on the ball and understand the impact of you paying out silly money for dubious work that may not need to be done, rare indeed.

Comment

The EICR was £150 as quoted by agent. Consumer unit is the old type fuse box. The switches and sockets have not been upgraded to the modern equivalent for double sockets at a higher level than the skirting board.

The agent recommended the sparks because (as she told the T) she had worked withh his for many years.

T and I can both appreciate appreciate that the consumer unit is outdated and needs to be replaced. Thats a job which can be done in a day. Apparently T suggested that to the sparks and he shaid no - but without any of the testing of the wiring that should be done.

Comment

To be fair, there's a reasonable chance that it might turn out that the electrician is simply saving you money.
                        If the property needs a new consumer unit and needs completely rewiring, there's no point doing an EICR, because it's just going to fail.

The best guide is going to be what you end up with.
                        A useless EICR for £150 or a quote to re-wire the place.
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I would employ my own electrician recommended by someone i trust and see what they say, then go from there, it is really the only way forward.

Comment

Could the OP please list the C1's and C2's on here when they get the report and I would be very interested to see the schedule of results from the testing too.

AND if the property was built in the mid 1980's the requirement for a rewire is extremely unlikely

Comment

Sometimes a quick look is enough to tell you what condition things are likely to be in without having to go through the whole testing.

An old fusebox rather than a consumer unit, old sockets and switches, they are going to need replacing.
                              The wiring behind them might be OK, but the assumption has to be that it's the original from when the property was built and so at least 30 years old and getting due for replacement anyway.

Admitted the sparks has been lazy and not done the full test that he has been paid to do.
                              (He should have said "Look mate, I can tell from a glance without doing a full test" and charged less for an 'opinion', or should have done the test).
                              But it's highly likely that if/when it is done fully it will say the same thing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X