Only one year electrical certiciates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only one year electrical certiciates?

I have had electric certificates and they lasted 3 years. Now the electrician is saying on the phone, with my existing insulation which is a plastic consumer unit I will get only a one year certificate. So I have to decide, if I want to do an annual check at £120 or fit a new metal consumer unit at £450, which he think I am likely to only get a 3 year certificate.

Is what I have been told correct? Do all plastic consumer units, now only get a one year certificate?

He's having a laugh. Just find someone else.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

I would tell him he’s VERY wrong and suggest he backs up his somewhat dubious claim with reg numbers ….

also what is his justification for a single year EICR? Are the IR results really low?

Comment

He is taking the urine

Ask him to put his comments in writing and also ask which regs relate to the lowered retest frequency for plastic consumer units

See the guide on the link from the Electrical Safety Council
        https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...149/bpg4-1.pdf

Comment

He's trying it on, and milking the situation by creating more work for himself. Depending on where the property is and how large, £120 is fairly cheap, for a 2 bedroom in North East I paid £160 which was a 3 year certificate.

If the electrician is with a organisation, I would report him, so that he can get re-training.

Comment

BTW, didn't we all know this was going to happen, when they put oiks in charge of saying whether or not you could let your place?
            To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

I thought an EICR for a rented residential property is for 5 years?

Comment

No it's up to 5 Years, depends on a number of factors, 1. being the condition of the wiring, 2. the turnover of the T's being another.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
                  No it's up to 5 Years, depends on a number of factors, 1. being the condition of the wiring, 2. the turnover of the T's being another.
                  How about 3. The turnover of the electrician?

Comment

Ive seen a certificate expressed to be valid for just 3 months! Its a bit like painting an iron suspension bridge - once we finally got to the end of getting certificates, we have to start over because some electricians wrote 5 years or until end of the tenancy - whichever sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
                      I have had electric certificates and they lasted 3 years. Now the electrician is saying on the phone, with my existing insulation which is a plastic consumer unit I will get only a one year certificate. So I have to decide, if I want to do an annual check at £120 or fit a new metal consumer unit at £450, which he think I am likely to only get a 3 year certificate.

Is what I have been told correct? Do all plastic consumer units, now only get a one year certificate?
                      He is misleading you, assuming you have some sort of 30ma rcb, nothing wrong with plastic consumer unit, unless rewire-able fuses, or dangerous in some other way, and if that's the case, should not be giving any type of certificate.
                      Opinions given are mine, They are not necessarily correct, as the more I learn the less I know, You should always seek professional help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X