Gas safety certyficate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas safety certyficate

How long do I need to keep my certs copies? Only for 2 years I believe.
    What happens if tenant does not let landlord in to redo inspection and get new cert? When tenant does not let landlord to do inspection for 2 years specially over COVID period there will be no evidence inspection was carried out and cert was issued?
    If it comes to eviction can judge ask for proof of gas safety inspection older than 2 years if according to law is not required to keep it so long? Is it still landlord fault inspection was not done? Landlord in this case is in the trap as must do inspection and respect tenant rights so if tenant keeps refusing entry for so long landlord does not have any record what must be kept. within 2 years. Will it be a problem for eviction then and what more criminal offence for landlord what judge can sentence over eviction trial?

The difficulty is that you need to be able to prove the tenants were given the certificate. That the certificate exists helps with that.
    But simply having had a certificate is not enough anyway (whether 2 weeks or 5 years ago).

Comment

You need to keep them as long as the tenant is in the property and until the next certificate is issued surely

Comment

I am not aware of any legal requirement to keep them. You need proof you issued it to T before he moved in and you need to keep the current one and give a copy to T. Does anyone know for certain if this is incorrect? Although the court may ask for all of them I don't believe they can throw it out as long as you have the current one.

Comment

Just keep all of them IIWY. The n5b form now asks for a whole list of them. See question 17: https://assets.publishing.service.go...02/n5b-eng.pdf
          To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Ok so if I left my certs with tenant and as I said we are in the dispute now can I get copy of them from somewhere then?

Comment

This is a good reason to go with British Gas. They send certificate to both landlord & tenant, so you have a copy plus proof of service to tenant.
              To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

It was done by certified engineer, does he not have to register this certificate anywhere? I can not get it from him as he retired and left country. There is no record anywhere it was carried out?

Comment

Originally posted by Vic123 View Post
                  It was done by certified engineer, does he not have to register this certificate anywhere? I can not get it from him as he retired and left country. There is no record anywhere it was carried out?
                  Not as far as I know. Why on earth did you not keep a copy? You might have known something like this would come up.

Comment

If I made inspection now then so I do not to have to have the previous ones?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X