Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Monoxide detectors to comply with gas boiler regulations

Good morning,

I remember reading last year that the government are bringing in legislation to make CO2 alarms mandatory for all privately rented properties with a gas boiler, instead of just solid fuel appliances.

I know that the HHSRS mentions gas, but I thought that the annual GSC would have covered this requirement?

After jumping on the EIRC requirements too quickly and having to have work redone when the final draft came out, I've been waiting to find out exactly what is required this time for the CO2 detectors for people with gas boilers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...-alarms-fitted

Has any legislation been released to say what is needed,or is it still work in progress?

Can I fit Battery operated alarms or do I need to have mains powered CO2 alarms installed?.

I don't want to end up paying for the job to be done twice, but I do want to comply with the current laws on CO2 detectors.

I'm just not sure what detectors I legally need to install.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Presumably you mean CO not CO2 alarm? I wouldn't spend any money on it, you can buy a battery CO alarm for around £15.

Comment

In Scotland CO alarms have been mandatory in private rentals since 2015

The building standards also changed then making it mandatory for ALL new / replacement boilers since 2015

The battery ones are OK but they need to be long life sealed batteries with a minimum 7 year shelf life.

I use Aico detectors (EI 208 is the model no for the 10 year sealed lithium CO detector), just under £20 all in.

Comment

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Roy, My mistake, yes. I meant CO detectors. I know that the battery ones are very cheap, I just wasn't sure that they met the government regulations on carbon monoxide detectors for gas boilers. I would rather pay out once for the correct alarm instead of realizing that I had bought the wrong one and have to replace it.

If it was for just 1 house, id take a gamble on what I thought was the correct 1. when looking at 10 - 20 houses, that is a lot of money to waste if i get the wrong detector.

I was just trying to work out what is the correct detector to buy as I could't find the correct legislation as to what I need to supply.

Baldelectrician I like the thought of using the 10 year sealed battery CO detectors. If its going to cover the legal requirement, I will be happy to fit them to all of our houses.

Does anyone know the current law for the carbon monoxide detectors or is is still in progress?

Comment

It is better to get long life battery ones. I had a tenant call the gas company, because of the low voltage alarm went beep. They just disconnected the gas and left. It was a bit of a drama to get it reconnected etc...

Comment

I think the legislation has passed although I can't refer you to it anywhere!

My understanding is that you need to have a CO detector in every room with a gas appliance (except the hob) but they don't need to be hardwired or interlinked.

Comment

it seems the legislation has not yet passed but will when "legislative time allows":

https://www.landlordtoday.co.uk/brea...ide-alarm-laws

Comment

jpucng62, Thank you for the info and link, I'll keep an eye on that website for further information. It seems like the clowns in the government want us to act now to prevent supply chain issues, but no indication of what or how many we need to install.

Flashback1966, I prefer the 10 year sealed idea for the CO detectors if they are going to be acceptable.

We have 10 year smoke alarms fitted to most of our houses, it's looking like i'm going to have to throw them away and for mains powered interlinked ones in the near future.

The 10 year ones seem to last longer than the mains powered back up batteries.

We have some houses with mains powered, interlinked smoke alarms installed but tenant said he didn't feel comfortable replacing a 9V battery, so, £45 for my electrician to replace 2 batteries.... Unfortunately, I don't live locally, or I would have changed the batteries myself.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X