New gas boiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New gas boiler

Recommendations anyone? Just had one condemned, rip faithful old baxi Combi.
    condemned off the gsc carried out at one of my rentals. The guy recommended a ?(something beginning with 'v') that has a 10 yr warranty, bound to be catches but I can't find out terms and conditions for 'V' boilers. He says they had a bad rep yrs ago but good now but he's a authorized repairer for these 'V' boilers and being the mistrusting fellow that I am, he would say they are good wouldn't he!
    Bit of a minefield out there for boilers.

Vokera or Valiant spring to mind

Comment

Be aware that your boiler guarantee is strictly speaking only valid if you get it serviced every year.

It may make more financial sense to buy a cheap boiler with a short guarantee, with an expected life of 5-7 years, and just throw it out when it starts to go wrong.

Also be aware that the price of installation varies considerably -- get a few quotes!

Comment

Vaillant is a very good make. They have a promotion, I believe, such that if fitted by one of their own trained people parts are free during an extended guarantee period of 60 months (but not labour, which is always more anyway)
        Veissman is another top class make beginning with a V but better known for their larger boilers although they do now make smaller ones too.

Comment

Buy 2 of the same boiler.

That way, when one eventually dies you have a spare that is easy to fit and you get around the ban on selling new boilers which is coming.

My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

I would get Worcester as they are owned by Valiant and have the same parts, and slightly cheaper than the Valiant - all mine currently are valiants which have had parts replaced over the years, but any new boilers will be a worchester.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
              Be aware that your boiler guarantee is strictly speaking only valid if you get it serviced every year.
              Why would you not get it serviced Avery year? That is just common sense.

It may make more financial sense to buy a cheap boiler with a short guarantee, with an expected life of 5-7 years, and just throw it out when it starts to go wrong.
              Absolutely disagree - buy a decent make and look after it!

be aware that the price of installation varies considerably -- get a few quotes!
              So do it once, put in a decent boiler & save the labour of replacing your cheap boiler again!

Comment

I just got a recon fan fitted on a capriz that is likely 10 years old so some cheap ones do ok.

Comment

Interesting selection of viewpoints here, I have 2 cheap Biasis now approaching 15 years old still going strong and never serviced (but I have a decent plumber who can fix the occasional fault) and I would never dispose of a boiler after 5 years. I just buy whatever is on special offer at A10 boilers though my prejudice against Valiant lingers, problem was they used to leak and ruin the PCB that was at the bottom which made them not worth repairing.
                  Big game changer for me was fitting magnet filters on every circuit, invaluable.

Comment

Yes Biasi were a cheap make that have kept going very well far beyond the life expectancy. The oldest one we still have in service was installed in 1995 and is a Potterton Prima 50B closely followed by a 1996 Sime Super 90.

These days we look for the highest rated boilers typically with heat recovery either Greenstar Ecotec or Baxi.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
                      The guy who condemned it let me down 3 times with quotes for a repair/replacement so I tried someone else who repaired it in 24hrs for £330.
                      New diverter valve, new expansion vessel, new burner door gasket, fphe flush and a fresh GSC.
                      Chuffed with that. The original bloke said the burner assembly was scrap along with the other things, new bloke said he's talking rubbish.
                      I've been here before though, many times actually, find a good reliable gasman for the first visit then they turn into unreliable stress inducing Muppets. Most years I just need the GSC which is money for old rope but trying to get them to answer the phone or reply to text/email is generally fruitless..
                      see how this one is next year.
                      Same issue with eicr, thank God that's every 5 yrs!

Comment

Original gasman has sent the quote whilst I was typing the reply above!
                        To repair £650 + vat.
                        New boiler wasn't beginning with 'V' I misheard.
                        It was ferolli £2.3k for that, 10yr warranty.
                        Thanks but no thanks....
                        They are authorised factory trained engineers for that rubbish.
                        Google reviews aren't good.

Comment

Ferroli.
                          too scared to edit the above incase it gets flagged lol!

Comment

Why trust someone who can write their own paycheck? Ideally learn how everything works and be sure they know you understand it.

Comment

Ferroli was used by our local council for about 5-6 months years ago.

They binned them and started using Vokera- they install so many they are 'agents' - who do not sell.

Vokera actually give them parts on a use or return basis (if still sealed etc), they also let the council try the odd boiler for free before it hits the market for evaluation.
                              They even have a 99.6% service success rate- very well ran

The building and works are so efficient that when they put 2 areas to tender (the ones that Labour put to tender 20 years ago) other companies look at the costs and decide they cannot make a profit.

When the current administration took over they overhauled, got rid of the dead wood and promised the unions they would NOT put anything out to tender they did not have to (and have kept the promises since 2007)
                              Each van has a tracker and the staff have phones and if someone calls up on a urgent matter they can add the job to the diary and have someone there within one hour- not bad for a council

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• MID (Meassuring Instruments Directive)
                                by bob369
                                I have old Card Ampy Electric Meters for the tenants rooms of my HMO, which were installed over 10 years ago.

I dont charge them a Standing Charge, as I feel that is unfair.

The system is simple and works well, and no fraud.

I have been looking at newer systems...
                                21-10-2021, 12:00 PM
                              • Reply to MID (Meassuring Instruments Directive)
                                by bob369
                                I can't see them using too much electricity in a single room.
                                You would be surprise how much a 3Kw heater, run day and night in winter costs. I witnessed one tenants room, (who came from a hot climate) -that was so hot he was dressed just in his shorts, with snow on the ground outside, it must...
                                28-11-2021, 12:45 PM
                              • Electric ceiling heating
                                by zrux
                                One of my tenanted property has an electric ceiling heating. No Gas boilers.
                                Just wondered, in case it goes wrong, is there any insurance which can provide cover for this?

What kind of trades person needs to be contacted to fix if this goes wrong?

Any one got any clue...
                                05-09-2021, 16:39 PM
                              • Reply to Electric ceiling heating
                                by landlord-man
                                I rented a top floor flat with ceiling heaters. Only short term for 6 months so not too bad.

Tempted to call RSPB out as the seagulls were burning their feet on the roof.

Woman in flat below us never turned hers on so we froze.

Property is now EPC E and only...
                                25-11-2021, 22:26 PM
                                by JK0
                                Come on, it's never going to happen. Bojo is even more keen on the green nonsense than the EU, if that were possible.

What o/p could do is what I suggested in another thread: Get the fancy storage heaters for the purposes of the EPC, and also install a normal wall heater. Then tenant has...
                                25-11-2021, 21:59 PM
                                by Neelix
                                BEWARE of LOT 20 products FULL stop.

Seek advice and guidance from others before going down this route and I would say any heaters with LOT 20 need to have app control too

These products ARE the work of the devils - so many people can't understand them so waste LOTS of energy....
                                25-11-2021, 20:04 PM
                                by zrux
                                Hi, looks like my fear of the ceiling electric heating going bad has come true now.

If I go for a lot 20 heater/ High heat retention storage heaters - assuming there's a difference between these 2 products, is there a possibility of Gov grant that can cover some of the costs?
                                25-11-2021, 19:35 PM
                              • Reply to Retrospective Application of BS7671 (Wiring Regulations) ?
                                by Charlieboy
                                Thanks for your comments / advice - I will certainly be challenging the report, with a bit more confidence now.
                                25-11-2021, 13:12 PM
                              • Reply to New gas boiler
                                by baldelectrician
                                Ferroli was used by our local council for about 5-6 months years ago.

They binned them and started using Vokera- they install so many they are 'agents' - who do not sell.

Vokera actually give them parts on a use or return basis (if still sealed etc), they also let the council...
                                25-11-2021, 00:40 AM
                              • New gas boiler
                                by 1600e
                                Recommendations anyone? Just had one condemned, rip faithful old baxi Combi.
                                condemned off the gsc carried out at one of my rentals. The guy recommended a ?(something beginning with 'v') that has a 10 yr warranty, bound to be catches but I can't find out terms and conditions for 'V' boilers. He...
                                12-11-2021, 16:30 PM
                              Working...
                              X