Gas Service Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Service Care

I pay yearly nearly £700 for service cover for my rental house in London. I'm sure you can guess who with. They come out once a year to do my landlord's certificate and also do any little jobs that arise during the year.

Recently they emailed to remind me the service is due next month, which I was able to book online quite easily. However, about a week later, my tenant asked me to call them out due to the central heating not working. Hence a flurry of emails notifying me that my visit has been changed from next month to this.

I thought they might do the gas certificate when they visited last week, but they haven't, so I still need to get one next month. Going online, it now won't let me book a service. It says the following:

Annual Boiler Service

We'll be in touch when you can book your next service.

Where we can, we’ll service your gas appliance(s) around the same time of year 2. There’s no need to call, we’ll let you know when it’s time to book.
    If you click on the number '2' link, you reach a page saying:

1. Your annual services may be more than 12 months apart.
    2. Sometimes our engineers are in a lot of demand for urgent breakdowns, so we may need to visit at a different time of year. If it happens at a different time we’ll aim to make sure your service is carried out at some point during your contract start and end date.
    That's not a lot of help to a landlord requiring a new gas certificate within 12 months of his previous one!

In view of that, I instead asked for a repair, and was able to book one. What a joke though!
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    Going online, it now won't let me book a service.
    After trying for a couple of months to book a service for my home boiler, both online and over the phone, I finally spoke to a human last week.

He said, that due to the pandemic they are not servicing certain boilers. They are using the man power to cover repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      I pay yearly nearly £700 for service cover for my rental house in London. I'm sure you can guess who with. They come out once a year to do my landlord's certificate and also do any little jobs that arise during the year.
      Why?

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post

Why?
        Because they are the only people who show up reliably in London.
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Also the said company have a bigger spare parts inventory than anyone else, by far. However I agree that their service standards have dropped, fairly alarningly. They have two types of service contracts, individual and corporate, intended for landlords and managing agents who have many many residential addresses under the service contract. The problem we have is that when the typical tenant rings up of an evening to report a service problem they are told that the service contract doesnt exist. We now find that the reason is that the office for the Corporate contracts closes at 5pm and the other office dealing with individual gas contracts do not have access to all the details of premises covered under corporate contracts. This is very irritating. We have logged complaints etc but its a bit like chucking a stone into the sea, ie makes no impact. I will post again if BG manages to improve the system so as to be more usable for tenants. Last week we ha some tenants so distressed by the delays in getting a service call we took the easy (but expensive) way out and just had another contractor replace the boiler.

Comment

Can you believe I received a gas safety certificate yesterday? Only took 18 days to get here!

Comment

I have to say £700 seems a little steep, I switch between 2 in London, as soon as the year is up I know the price goes up, so I switch service. around £250-£300, I had the company you are referring to when a boiler had an issue and offered me a £50 to get a portable heater until they could get an engineer round, and if I could find someone else to fix it to then bill them.

It sure does take the headache of ringing round and finding someone, but you still get the pain from the T, when you have to inform them the company doesn't have anyone at the moment, and you don't know when they will be sending someone.....

Comment

Amazes me in this day and age that we don't have a "Landlords Buying Group" where LLs can group together to achieve discounted products and services - and in doing so have greater control over service levels.

My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MID (Meassuring Instruments Directive)
                  by bob369
                  I can't see them using too much electricity in a single room.
                  You would be surprise how much a 3Kw heater, run day and night in winter costs. I witnessed one tenants room, (who came from a hot climate) -that was so hot he was dressed just in his shorts, with snow on the ground outside, it must...
                  28-11-2021, 12:45 PM
                • MID (Meassuring Instruments Directive)
                  by bob369
                  I have old Card Ampy Electric Meters for the tenants rooms of my HMO, which were installed over 10 years ago.

I dont charge them a Standing Charge, as I feel that is unfair.

The system is simple and works well, and no fraud.

I have been looking at newer systems...
                  21-10-2021, 12:00 PM
                • Electric ceiling heating
                  by zrux
                  One of my tenanted property has an electric ceiling heating. No Gas boilers.
                  Just wondered, in case it goes wrong, is there any insurance which can provide cover for this?

What kind of trades person needs to be contacted to fix if this goes wrong?

Any one got any clue...
                  05-09-2021, 16:39 PM
                • Reply to Electric ceiling heating
                  by landlord-man
                  I rented a top floor flat with ceiling heaters. Only short term for 6 months so not too bad.

Tempted to call RSPB out as the seagulls were burning their feet on the roof.

Woman in flat below us never turned hers on so we froze.

Property is now EPC E and only...
                  25-11-2021, 22:26 PM
                  by JK0
                  Come on, it's never going to happen. Bojo is even more keen on the green nonsense than the EU, if that were possible.

What o/p could do is what I suggested in another thread: Get the fancy storage heaters for the purposes of the EPC, and also install a normal wall heater. Then tenant has...
                  25-11-2021, 21:59 PM
                  by Neelix
                  BEWARE of LOT 20 products FULL stop.

Seek advice and guidance from others before going down this route and I would say any heaters with LOT 20 need to have app control too

These products ARE the work of the devils - so many people can't understand them so waste LOTS of energy....
                  25-11-2021, 20:04 PM
                  by zrux
                  Hi, looks like my fear of the ceiling electric heating going bad has come true now.

If I go for a lot 20 heater/ High heat retention storage heaters - assuming there's a difference between these 2 products, is there a possibility of Gov grant that can cover some of the costs?
                  25-11-2021, 19:35 PM
                • Reply to Retrospective Application of BS7671 (Wiring Regulations) ?
                  by Charlieboy
                  Thanks for your comments / advice - I will certainly be challenging the report, with a bit more confidence now.
                  25-11-2021, 13:12 PM
                • Reply to New gas boiler
                  by baldelectrician
                  Ferroli was used by our local council for about 5-6 months years ago.

They binned them and started using Vokera- they install so many they are 'agents' - who do not sell.

Vokera actually give them parts on a use or return basis (if still sealed etc), they also let the council...
                  25-11-2021, 00:40 AM
                • New gas boiler
                  by 1600e
                  Recommendations anyone? Just had one condemned, rip faithful old baxi Combi.
                  condemned off the gsc carried out at one of my rentals. The guy recommended a ?(something beginning with 'v') that has a 10 yr warranty, bound to be catches but I can't find out terms and conditions for 'V' boilers. He...
                  12-11-2021, 16:30 PM
                Working...
                X