Gas safety inspection needed on new gas hob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas safety inspection needed on new gas hob?

Hello, I am renovating my rental flat in fitting a new kitchen. There are no tenants, I’m hoping to rent it out from January 2022. Gas safety certificate is expiring this month. I’ll be at the flat all day in early November ( I live 3 hours away) so that would be a convenient time for the inspection. However, the current cooker will be chucked out and replaced with a new one, probably in December. Should I book the inspection for November or wait until the new gas hob is fitted? Thank you

Wait until you have all your gas appliances in place and then book it. There is no requirement for a gas safety whilst it is empty and doing the two separately will cost you twice and will men they are due at different times next year.

Comment

You could also ask the engineer installing the cooker to carry out a landlord check.

Comment

A new istallation is supposed to be certified as safe by the qualified installer/fitter.

So you shouldn't need a GSC doing for it for a year, the installation certificate covers the first year.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have a HomeCare agreement with British Gas so I checked with them. As the new gas cooker will be installed by a Gas Safety registered plumber, that will be good for a year. I’m going to get the certificate done in early November even though the old cooker will get chucked out as soon as the new kitchen is fitted. That way if the kitchen fitter wants to use it at least I know it’s safe. Interestingly, the NRLA gave me inaccurate advice ( that I’d need to get the new cooker inspected as part for eh gas safety check).

Comment

Originally posted by Lots on View Post
            Interestingly, the NRLA gave me inaccurate advice ( that I’d need to get the new cooker inspected as part for eh gas safety check).
            That's not inaccurate, just poorly explained.

Yes the new installation will be covered by the installers safety certificate, but anything else eg. an existing boiler, gas fire, hob etc. wouldn't be and should be covered by an existing GSC.

So you could have have a GSC for existing stuff, and a fitters certificate to cover newly fitted stuff.

Next time the existing GSC was renewed, which is almost certainly going to be less than 1 year after the new stuff was fitted, then the new stuff would be inspected/certified at the same time 'as part of the gas safety check' (which is what they said).

That just makes sense otherwise you would be paying for different things to be insected at different times, which would cost you more.

If there are no other existing gas appliances then the new stuff won't need a GSC until a year after fitting - for the first year it's covered by the installation certificate.

Comment

PS. As you say that you have BG HomeCare then I assume there is a gas boiler already inspected? (Unless the homecare is for another property).

Remember to add the cooker/hob to the contract or it won't be certified on the next GSC inspection.

My previous LL had BG HomeCare and thought that the service/inspection covered the gas hob as well as the boiler, it doesn't unless you specify that it should (and pay a bit more).
              Despite me telling him that and showing him on the CP12 that the hob wasn't covered he only ever had it done correctly for one year of the 10 that I was there.
              (Then he switched cover because it was cheaper, it was cheaper because once again the hob wasn't included).

If you ever come to evict, and the tenant knows their stuff, they can simply point out that you don't have a full GSC only a partial one, so any s21 would be invalid.

Comment

Thanks nukecad, yes the agent for BG Homecare was very clear that I would need to add the new cooker to my policy going forward. You can’t assume anything, all gas powered appliances have to be stated on the policy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• MID (Meassuring Instruments Directive)
                  by bob369
                  I have old Card Ampy Electric Meters for the tenants rooms of my HMO, which were installed over 10 years ago.

I dont charge them a Standing Charge, as I feel that is unfair.

The system is simple and works well, and no fraud.

I have been looking at newer systems...
                  21-10-2021, 12:00 PM
                • Reply to MID (Meassuring Instruments Directive)
                  by bob369
                  I can't see them using too much electricity in a single room.
                  You would be surprise how much a 3Kw heater, run day and night in winter costs. I witnessed one tenants room, (who came from a hot climate) -that was so hot he was dressed just in his shorts, with snow on the ground outside, it must...
                  28-11-2021, 12:45 PM
                • Electric ceiling heating
                  by zrux
                  One of my tenanted property has an electric ceiling heating. No Gas boilers.
                  Just wondered, in case it goes wrong, is there any insurance which can provide cover for this?

What kind of trades person needs to be contacted to fix if this goes wrong?

Any one got any clue...
                  05-09-2021, 16:39 PM
                • Reply to Electric ceiling heating
                  by landlord-man
                  I rented a top floor flat with ceiling heaters. Only short term for 6 months so not too bad.

Tempted to call RSPB out as the seagulls were burning their feet on the roof.

Woman in flat below us never turned hers on so we froze.

Property is now EPC E and only...
                  25-11-2021, 22:26 PM
                  by JK0
                  Come on, it's never going to happen. Bojo is even more keen on the green nonsense than the EU, if that were possible.

What o/p could do is what I suggested in another thread: Get the fancy storage heaters for the purposes of the EPC, and also install a normal wall heater. Then tenant has...
                  25-11-2021, 21:59 PM
                  by Neelix
                  BEWARE of LOT 20 products FULL stop.

Seek advice and guidance from others before going down this route and I would say any heaters with LOT 20 need to have app control too

These products ARE the work of the devils - so many people can't understand them so waste LOTS of energy....
                  25-11-2021, 20:04 PM
                  by zrux
                  Hi, looks like my fear of the ceiling electric heating going bad has come true now.

If I go for a lot 20 heater/ High heat retention storage heaters - assuming there's a difference between these 2 products, is there a possibility of Gov grant that can cover some of the costs?
                  25-11-2021, 19:35 PM
                • Reply to Retrospective Application of BS7671 (Wiring Regulations) ?
                  by Charlieboy
                  Thanks for your comments / advice - I will certainly be challenging the report, with a bit more confidence now.
                  25-11-2021, 13:12 PM
                • Reply to New gas boiler
                  by baldelectrician
                  Ferroli was used by our local council for about 5-6 months years ago.

They binned them and started using Vokera- they install so many they are 'agents' - who do not sell.

Vokera actually give them parts on a use or return basis (if still sealed etc), they also let the council...
                  25-11-2021, 00:40 AM
                • New gas boiler
                  by 1600e
                  Recommendations anyone? Just had one condemned, rip faithful old baxi Combi.
                  condemned off the gsc carried out at one of my rentals. The guy recommended a ?(something beginning with 'v') that has a 10 yr warranty, bound to be catches but I can't find out terms and conditions for 'V' boilers. He...
                  12-11-2021, 16:30 PM
                Working...
                X