Gas supply isolated on Gas Fire - is that enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas supply isolated on Gas Fire - is that enough?

Hello,

I had a CP12 succesfully done on the boiler of my buy to let property. However, the engineer was unable to identify the gas fireplace (previous owners had no documentation). Therefore, he could not inspect the appliance. He did however isolate the gas supply to the appliance, so it can't be switched on. As a landlord where does this leave me - can the property be rented out? Or do I have to replace or remove the appliance completely?

I'd have thought that, at least, you'd need to remove it, otherwise it's going to affect the advertising - you'd have to confirm with anyone looking at the place that the fire isn't functional, otherwise they'll assume that it's working.
    And you don't want someone trying to reconnect it.

I'd probably replace it (unless that would trash the EPC).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You have a CP12? I'd say yes.
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by BriWilson View Post
        I had a CP12 succesfully done on the boiler of my buy to let property.
        What does the CP12 actually say about the gas fire?

If this was done as part of your anual boiler maintenance then they usually only certify the boiler itself and not any other appliances, unless you pay extra for the other appliances to be inspected at the same time.

I've known a couple of LL's make the mistake of thinking that a CP12 for the boiler covers everything else like hobs and fires - it doesn't, it usually only covers the boiler itself.
        You get what you pay for.
        (At my old place the boiler service guys used to put 'not inspected', 'not covered', or simply N/A on the CP12 for the hob).

Therefore, he could not inspect the appliance. He did however isolate the gas supply to the appliance,
        Surley if he couldn't inspect it then he couldn't judge if it needed to be disconnected or not? (Unless he could see at a glance that it's in a dilapidated state).

As said I think it's possibly more a case that you were not paying to have the fire inspected/certified, so he didn't inspect and certify it.
        In which case disconnecting it is a bit over the top, unless it's obviously, visually, dangerous.

Comment

I think it's OK as long as T can't turn it on. I had a gas fire disconnected when it failed a gsc before I rented it out. It's been like that ever since, I've just told prospective tenants so they know they can't use it. It's an old cast iron one so is OK as a 'feature', if yours is a modern one the room might look better if it's removed.

Comment

Thanks for the replies - even though I have a CP12 - it is still possible for a curious tenant to google how to un-isolate the appliance and start using it. Which would leave me in some legal grey area if something happened as a result. So I've decided to have it capped so it's totally redundant and not operational.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X