Electrical Wiring Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Wiring Query

If an appliance has been wired in a wholly unsuitable manner that has been deemed "unsafe", thus making it a potential safety hazard, what particular regulations would be applicable? There appears to be some overlap here, such as the General Product Safety Regs, Electrical Equipment Safety Regs, and the Consumer Protection Act to name a few.

Who has decided it’s unsafe?

Comment

What appliance?

There is no regulation (nor should there be one) telling me that I cannot wire up a 3 pin plug with a blind ending cord in my own home, and sticking the bare wires into a glass of water --- so long as I don't place anyone else (or their property) at risk - which has its own legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
        Who has decided it’s unsafe?
        I have it in writing from authorities on electrical safety. They have stated that it showed a total lack of regard for tenant safety. We have been told overload was inevitable and could have easily started a fire. This appears to be governed by the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations, but I am uncertain if this is for new appliances only.

Comment

It is still totally unclear what it is that you are describing. If you want meaningful advice ask a meaningful question with appropriate detail (in all aspects).

Comment

Tenants reported this to the local council housing department?

If so they should have reported it to you first and give usually two weeks to rectify it while allowing access at any given time if they are serious about it.

Source:

(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020.

(2) These Regulations come into force on 1st June 2020.

(3) These Regulations apply in England only to—

(a)all new specified tenancies from 1st July 2020; and

(b)all existing specified tenancies from 1st April 2021.

(EICR) Electrical installation condition reports are now a key part of electrical safety, Landlords have the responsibility to ensure that a tenanted property has an electrical installation that is safe to use by its tenants. The Law around the EICR has now changed and will come into effect in July 2020. There will a legal onus on all landlords to have a electrical installation condition report in place. They will have to be able to provide this to the tenant, managing agent or local authority within 30 days should they ask. The government have also laid down the law that all existing tenancies will require a EICR report by April 2021.

Electrical equipment should be kept safe, this includes all portable appliances. also known as non white goods. The best thing for this is a portable appliance test. Most electricians can carry this out.

Comment

Apologies, the appliance in question is an electric oven. It is rated at 7kw. 1mm cabling was used to wire the appliance. This was fitted to a plug with a 13A fuse which was plugged directly into a wall socket.

PRS regulations only cover the fixed installation - I am trying to ascertain which regulations cover the provision of an unsafe appliance. The EICR does not cover portable appliances, so it seems to be somewhat of a grey area, given that the wiring may be the issue?

Comment

Ah, the well known "authorities on electrical safety".
                Write back to them at their address and ask?
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

This would be Electrical Safety First, arguably the authority on electrical safety.

Comment

7kw!
                    1mm cable!

Comment

Originally posted by 1600e View Post
                      7kw!
                      1mm cable!

possibly the correct cable, is it actually 1mm or 1.5mm

what make and model is the oven?

Your opening post is totally misleading

Comment

Originally posted by FindaLot View Post
                        This would be Electrical Safety First, arguably the authority on electrical safety.
                        hum, that I would dispute

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post

hum, that I would dispute
                          For what reason?

It’s definitely 1mm. The opinions of four different parties have all concurred that it is unsafe. It is the incorrect cable. This has also been confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by FindaLot View Post

For what reason?

It’s definitely 1mm. The opinions of four different parties have all concurred that it is unsafe. It is the incorrect cable. This has also been confirmed.
                            make and model of oven?

or is your goal to get dubious advice off the internet to try and bash your LL over the head with

and is this a moulded plug?

Comment

It’s not a moulded plug, no.

I do not require any further advice on the technicalities of the wiring. The information I have been provided by by trusted parties is satisfactory.

What I am trying to ascertain is the regulations that would be applicable in this instance. Do Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016 only cover appliances supplied as new?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MID (Meassuring Instruments Directive)
                                by bob369
                                I can't see them using too much electricity in a single room.
                                You would be surprise how much a 3Kw heater, run day and night in winter costs. I witnessed one tenants room, (who came from a hot climate) -that was so hot he was dressed just in his shorts, with snow on the ground outside, it must...
                                28-11-2021, 12:45 PM
                              • MID (Meassuring Instruments Directive)
                                by bob369
                                I have old Card Ampy Electric Meters for the tenants rooms of my HMO, which were installed over 10 years ago.

I dont charge them a Standing Charge, as I feel that is unfair.

The system is simple and works well, and no fraud.

I have been looking at newer systems...
                                21-10-2021, 12:00 PM
                              • Electric ceiling heating
                                by zrux
                                One of my tenanted property has an electric ceiling heating. No Gas boilers.
                                Just wondered, in case it goes wrong, is there any insurance which can provide cover for this?

What kind of trades person needs to be contacted to fix if this goes wrong?

Any one got any clue...
                                05-09-2021, 16:39 PM
                              • Reply to Electric ceiling heating
                                by landlord-man
                                I rented a top floor flat with ceiling heaters. Only short term for 6 months so not too bad.

Tempted to call RSPB out as the seagulls were burning their feet on the roof.

Woman in flat below us never turned hers on so we froze.

Property is now EPC E and only...
                                25-11-2021, 22:26 PM
                                by JK0
                                Come on, it's never going to happen. Bojo is even more keen on the green nonsense than the EU, if that were possible.

What o/p could do is what I suggested in another thread: Get the fancy storage heaters for the purposes of the EPC, and also install a normal wall heater. Then tenant has...
                                25-11-2021, 21:59 PM
                                by Neelix
                                BEWARE of LOT 20 products FULL stop.

Seek advice and guidance from others before going down this route and I would say any heaters with LOT 20 need to have app control too

These products ARE the work of the devils - so many people can't understand them so waste LOTS of energy....
                                25-11-2021, 20:04 PM
                                by zrux
                                Hi, looks like my fear of the ceiling electric heating going bad has come true now.

If I go for a lot 20 heater/ High heat retention storage heaters - assuming there's a difference between these 2 products, is there a possibility of Gov grant that can cover some of the costs?
                                25-11-2021, 19:35 PM
                              • Reply to Retrospective Application of BS7671 (Wiring Regulations) ?
                                by Charlieboy
                                Thanks for your comments / advice - I will certainly be challenging the report, with a bit more confidence now.
                                25-11-2021, 13:12 PM
                              • New gas boiler
                                by 1600e
                                Recommendations anyone? Just had one condemned, rip faithful old baxi Combi.
                                condemned off the gsc carried out at one of my rentals. The guy recommended a ?(something beginning with 'v') that has a 10 yr warranty, bound to be catches but I can't find out terms and conditions for 'V' boilers. He...
                                12-11-2021, 16:30 PM
                              • Reply to New gas boiler
                                by baldelectrician
                                Ferroli was used by our local council for about 5-6 months years ago.

They binned them and started using Vokera- they install so many they are 'agents' - who do not sell.

Vokera actually give them parts on a use or return basis (if still sealed etc), they also let the council...
                                25-11-2021, 00:40 AM
                              Working...
                              X