Consumer unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consumer unit

Hi I have an issue come up when I had a new kitchen fitted, the builder brought in an electrician to connect the kitchen wiring and he had the attached comments. And is asking for £180 for a condition report which includes Electrical inspection, Electrical testing and Full report with certificate ECR.

Then he messages me with "Quote to do electrical installation condition report ( EICR ) I’ll check everything and report to you everything that you need got done to got satisfactory EICR"

What I don't understand is I had a EICR and a new consumer unit install 2.5 years ago to start renting the flat out from a different builders electrician.

I would be grateful for any advice how to handle this.

Your attached photos and comments are too small to read properly so if you could add bigger photos I will then be able to read and comment

Comment

Sorry I'm new to this

Holes on metal without any protection and gland.

Difference brand, consumer unit+main switch from MK and breaker and RCD from British general

Comment

Live bar it’s unsafe

Used insulation tape to “ try “ protect

On that live bar you have 100 amper and it’s close to neutral, very danger ⚠️

Comment

Originally posted by billl View Post
          Live bar it’s unsafe

Used insulation tape to “ try “ protect

On that live bar you have 100 amper and it’s close to neutral, very danger ⚠️
          That looks suspiciously like the board has been put together wrongly or at the least very badly.

BG boards normally have their main switch on the right so I think the installer has BOTCHED this together

What has the spark who has looked at this said about sorting this out?

Comment

Sorry I new to this

Holes on metal without any protection and gland.

Difference brand, consumer unit+main switch from MK and breaker and RCD from British general
            Different brands C3 - no action
            No grommets C2 - but very easy to fix

Your main issue is selecting "builders" who don't give your proper certificates - so next time insist on this before you pay

Comment

Quote attached

From Electrician

"Quote to do electrical installation condition report ( EICR )

I’ll check everything and report to you everything that you need got done to got satisfactory EICR"

Comment

Thank you for advice, I did get a certificate from the electrician who installed it

I could not upload the PDF it was too large

Comment

Thank you Neelix,

I will contact the builder who arrange the original installation, how should I argue my case?

I will also ask the current electrician what he proposes to rectify the consumer unit.

Comment

Thank you for advice, I did get a certificate from the electrician who installed it

I could not upload the PDF it was too large

can’t read that but can tell it’s an NIC certificate.

what you should do is send a copy of the certificate and the photos to the NIC

they probably won’t act on it BUT you will have done your bit

Comment

The electrician responded with

"Hi, I can upgrade the consumer unit and fit properly
                      But before I need do the condition report on the property, without it I can’t upgrade, I need check everything first."

What should I do?

Comment

The electrician responded with

"Hi, I can upgrade the consumer unit and fit properly
                        But before I need do the condition report on the property, without it I can’t upgrade, I need check everything first."

What should I do?
                        I would ask him how much he’s going to charge ….

problem you have got is that he’s going to need to do an EICR first, which I can agree with

do you trust him?

Comment

He is asking for £180 for the condition report

"Quote to do electrical installation condition report ( EICR )

I’ll check everything and report to you everything that you need got done to got satisfactory EICR".

Does this seems reasonable?

Will this need to be done again at the end?

Do I trust him, I have not had much luck with tradesmen, he comes with the builder that is fitting the new kitchen.

Comment

Two of my least favourite brands- MK and BG

MK stopped making consumer units in 2019, the MK Sentry brand has been sold on (licenced) to a company called CircPro, having looked at their website the line from MK Honeywell stating "Novar ED&S Limited makes no representations or warranties with respect to this product." does not fill one with enthusiasm

Fortunately I bought 50-60 MK made MCB's when they announced the production stoppage to keep as I used to install MK (until 2008), stopped using them due to quality issues.

I know it is a cost but I would bite the bullet and put a Hager dual RCD board or a cheaper RCBO only board in.

I would code this as a C2 for the consumer unit for the following reasons;
                            • Holes that allow finger access
                            • Different brands installed- this is a potential fire risk as the 'electrician' has modified the consumer unit and ran a bus bar alongside a neutral cable and used tape to insulate it. He has modified the design to one that is no longer approved by the manufacturer and therefore potentially unsafe.
                            I had a look up on the company the builder used, they are Part P only- not approved contractor. This does not mean that a Part P installer is poor, having looked at the pictures leads me to believe this is poor workmanship.

The installer IS registered and you have comeback, you could contact the NICEIC and see where it gets you

Screenshot (53).png

NICEIC platinum promise

https://www.niceic.com/find-a-contra...atinum-promise

Comment

Thank you Baldelectrician, what check should I do before instructing a electrician?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X