Is abstracting electricity a criminal or civil offence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some body has removed the seals, so it wasn't a fault with the meter - it was deliberately messed with.

Comment

As the meter is outside the tenant could of course ring the Police and inform them that the seals have been stolen and ask for a Crime Reference Number.

Comment

I fitted solar to our house 18 months ago and our lecky usage has dropped a lot, especially in the summer .... I’m surprised that we haven’t been investigated, but they could have sent a meter reader round who would seen the panels

the 18 months into the tenancy sounds like they were tipped off

Comment

The tenant emailed me to say that she doesn't think she should pay to have a faulty meter fixed so I suggested she contact Ofgem, CAB and find a solicitor who would give her a free interview for advice.

Comment

Supplier suggests theft

tenant suggests faulty meter

so given the supplier is supposed to read the meter every year, why didn’t they spot this earlier ...

Comment

The supplier is saying that the 'fault' occurred a year into the tenancy, so they must have read the meter then and noticed the 'fault'.

Comment

That sounds very odd - so why didn't they act on it immediately?

How much are we talking about?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Consumer unit
                  by Neelix
                  2 to 3 hours...
                  14-06-2021, 09:31 AM
                • Consumer unit
                  by billl
                  Hi I have an issue come up when I had a new kitchen fitted, the builder brought in an electrician to connect the kitchen wiring and he had the attached comments. And is asking for £180 for a condition report which includes Electrical inspection, Electrical testing and Full report with certificate ECR....
                  12-06-2021, 12:14 PM
                • Reply to Consumer unit
                  by billl
                  The electrician has replied back with "Yes, NAPIT approved." Which is neither NICEIC or ECA. Is this satisfactory?

I will ask hime how long he will be at the property for the report, thanks

How long should he take for a two bed flat?...
                  14-06-2021, 06:21 AM
                • Electrical Work and EICR
                  by popotla
                  I own a small flat in the East Midlands (rented out) and am told by the management company that electrical work needs doing.

I was given an estimate and then asked for another. Between the two estimates, the costs, as regards four items, vary hugely. A new fan, for example would cost either...
                  13-06-2021, 17:55 PM
                • Reply to Electrical Work and EICR
                  by Neelix
                  My advice to you is not to use the management companies sparks

a flat would be between £120 and £150 but remember that’s just to inspect and test, if you get C1 or C2 codes then remedial costs would be on top

as for your quotes - £100 for a fan replacement is probably...
                  13-06-2021, 19:47 PM
                • Reply to Consumer unit
                  by Neelix
                  Back to the op, £180 in London isn’t much for an EICR so before you give the go ahead to the spark ask him how long he will be in the property? If he says about 1 hour then don’t use him....
                  13-06-2021, 08:09 AM
                • Reply to Consumer unit
                  by jpucng62
                  There is quite a lot of time / work involved in the EICR so I'm not surprised at the £180. He can't know the scope of the problem without doing this. What comes next will depend on what he finds. It sounds like you could be in for a large bill bill you need to get this sorted and what price safety?...
                  13-06-2021, 06:08 AM
                • Reply to Consumer unit
                  by billl
                  Thank you both for your advice, I just went with what the management agent recommended builder. This is the second time and has not worked out well. I have asked the current electrician if he is a full scope Approved Contractor, Thanks

The electrician is insisting to have a condition...
                  12-06-2021, 22:10 PM
                • Reply to Consumer unit
                  by baldelectrician
                  I agree- I get most of my work from word of mouth and existing customers....
                  12-06-2021, 21:02 PM
                • Reply to Consumer unit
                  by baldelectrician
                  Use a fully approoved contractor.

Part P only is not fully time (apprenticeship) served usually

I would suggest a full scope Approved Contractor (either NICEIC or ECA)
                  12-06-2021, 21:01 PM
                Working...
                X