Are kitchen extractors a legal requirement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are kitchen extractors a legal requirement?

I was just wondering are kitchen extractors a legal requirement?

I have a housing inspector coming to inspect a property, as they picked up some improvements when they were helping a private rented team out to do an end of tenancy when a council tenant left.

One of them was Kitchen extractor didn't seem to be working. I have had a new kitchen installed, initially I was going to rent through the council and they were going to pay for a cooker etc for the tenant so we didn't install.

We have decided to let privately as the council have been a nightmare, one of the things she picked up was the extractor, if I don't have it done in time for inspection, just wondering if they will say if its a legal requirement...

As they are saying I cannot let until they have signed it off...
    ​​​​

For new builds and extensions extractors which outside vent are mandatory, the same for bathrooms and cloakrooms

Comment

So if you have refitted a kitchen with a new units... It's not?

Comment

Originally posted by Bounce View Post
        So if you have refitted a kitchen with a new units... It's not?
        That's what I would say

Part F of the building regulations is what you need to review

Comment

The advice provided above by Neelix is accurate.
          Please see: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...nd_bathrooms/6
          Under heading "Extract ventilation":
          ....If you are refurbishing a kitchen or bathroom, you will need to ensure that any existing extract ventilation is retained or replaced. If there is no existing ventilation system, you need not provide one (though you can if you wish).
          Forgive me, but I think either I am misunderstanding the situation or perhaps the bigger picture is being missed? As I understand it, this is not a case of whether it is a legal requirement to have one, because you already do. It is a case of you have the extractor fan and it is broken. As it is an item which you have supplied, it needs to be in working order, so it needs repairing. The alternative to repair is that, subject to the original status of your kitchen prior to the refitting of it, in compliance with the above building regulations, you remove the extractor fan altogether and make everything good.

I think what you are really getting at is, is it a legal requirement for you to repair the extractor fan before letting the property? I am uncertain that it is a legal requirement for you to have the extractor repaired before letting the property. According to this solicitor's blog post:
          https://brodies.com/insights/real-es...nted-property/
          It says that you simple inspect the property at the start of the tenancy and notify the tenant of the works required. There isn't a time limit on the repairs but I imagine that there is an implied obligation that they are dealt with in a reasonable time. What I think your letting agent is doing is ensuring that you resolve all significant issues upfront, before letting.
          Why not have a discussion with the letting agent and say, "I'm sorry, but I can't get a replacement yet, but I have a replacement coming X date and an electrician booked in for fitting it on X date". That should satisfy both the agent and tenant for them to let the property still surely?

I hope this helps.

Comment

ifallelsefails,

Hi there, it isn't the agent saying that, it's a housing inspector from council.

Yes happy to get it done, but struggling to get it done before she attends, and my letting agent has had a lot of interest already, however the inspector says it needs to be done before a tenant moves in. She won't sign it off until its done.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounce View Post

Hi there, it isn't the agent saying this, it's a housing inspector from council.​
              You need to politely challenge them - and ask them which regulation they feel you are not complying with (bearing in mind its not a new build or extension)

Then see how they respond

Comment

It's been a bit of a nightmare to be honest...they didn't turn up to an appointment without notifying me as I said I was 'considering' selling. They know I was rather annoyed they didn't inform me and I had travelled from far to meet them. So she is coming with another inspector now...

Comment

Originally posted by ifallelsefails View Post
                  As I understand it, this is not a case of whether it is a legal requirement to have one, because you already do. It is a case of you have the extractor fan and it is broken. As it is an item which you have supplied, it needs to be in working order, so it needs repairing. The alternative to repair is that, subject to the original status of your kitchen prior to the refitting of it, in compliance with the above building regulations, you remove the extractor fan altogether and make everything good.
                  That is simply not true, though it might make sense not to supply broken stuff.

If you supply a dishwasher which the tenant would have every reason to think does the job of washing dishes, then it has to wash dishes. If you supply a dishwasher which is clearly stated not to function in some way (or at all) then that is what is supplied.

Safety issues are separate.

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
                    For new builds and extensions extractors which outside vent are mandatory, the same for bathrooms and cloakrooms
                    while our building inspector did insist on a completely useless outside vent for an internal toilet in our extension garage, they did not insist on one for the kitchen which was extended as part of the same build. In fact they never mentioned it at all. We fitted one that recycles air inside the kitchen and actually did that after the inspector had signed the extension work off. So, YMMV.

I suggest calling a well-regarded builder who does extensions in your property council area and asking them what building inspectors require there.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X