Is an EIC acceptable?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Is an EIC acceptable?

    This week we are having the original "fuse box" replaced in our 1940's two up/two down rental property.

    I have just checked with the electrician that he will be providing an EICR and he has responded saying this isn't necessary as he will provide an EIC.

    A quick Google suggests this may only be acceptable for new builds and where the property has been completely re-wired, but for the installation of a new consumer unit this may not be regarded as sufficient testing, although obviously all the electrics will need to be tested!

    Before I contact my local council to get their view, I would be interested in your feedback on when an EIC is not an acceptable substitute for an EICR.


    You are correct, the spark is wrong.

    an EIC is only acceptable for a new build or a full rewire IIRC

    if you are in England or Wales he will owe you a Part P certificate too

    hope this helps


      If you only have one consumer unit so all circuits will be tested then an EIC is satisfactory. As part of changing the board the electrical installation will need to comply with the latest regs and all tests will need to be carried out. So it all depends, if it covers the entire electrical installation but I would guess that is likely the case so your electrician is likely correct.

      Also there is no such thing as a Part P certificate, you should receive an EIC and a building compliance certificate (This shows it has been registered with building control in your local authority).


        looking at this link at point 6, last paragraph, I stand by my comment above

        it specifically says new build or rewire. A replacement fuseboard is a different matter

        and my CPS issues a building regulations compliance certificate , but most customers ask for their part p certificate


          The URL you provided gives an example. I agree a replacement fuseboard is a different matter as you can have sub boards off that board or you may have other boards so unless every circuit is included in the EIC then no it cannot be used however if like in most circumstances it is included then you cannot issue an EIC unless the circuits you have been working on comply with the 18th edition and are safe. So what would be the point of also doing an EICR apart from the electrician trying to extort more money out of the client as it would be simply a paper exersize as the checks on an EIC cannot be limited.


            i didn’t write the rules but I doubt many lettings agents around here would accept an EIC - they all want satisfactory EICRs


              I had the same response as milleniumaire from my electrician when getting my consumer unit changed.
              As I understand it from talking with my electrician:
              Essentially, when replacing a consumer unit, often only a percentage of fittings are checked - eg. it isn't a requirement to check every single light switch and pendant. But with an EICR, (whilst still not a requirement) I believe that in a house an electrician would usually take this up a notch and check all light switches, sockets etc..
              Furthermore, I understand that an EICR is a more detailed report than an EIC.
              So what I am getting at is that an EICR should be more thorough than what is usually done with a consumer unit change. That's my analysis of the situation anyway.

              I also read the government guidance that Neelix links to and I also explained to my electrician that letting agents will be looking for an EICR not an EIC. My electrician checked himself and agreed that it wasn't much more work to do an EICR anyway and then I would be covered with what I needed to let with either way. There just wasn't any point quibbling over it.

              Bear in mind that Electricians need to have a certain level of insurance for EICR and I was informed they also have to be qualified to undertake EICRs.


              Latest Activity