Cadent Gas Meter Relocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cadent Gas Meter Relocation

Would be interested on thoughts on the following.

I own a first floor leasehold maisonette with the gas meter located inside the kitchen.

Cadent, this week, are upgrading the gas mains pipes in the street and, as part of these works, have relocated the gas meter from the kitchen externally to the ground floor.

They have then run copper piping externally back into the property for the gas feed.

I only found out about this when I went to the property to drop something off to the tenant - the tenant asked me if I was aware of these works, which I wasn't - I asked the tenant if he had received any correspondence advising him of these works - he said he got a letter about a week ago but he never bothered to advise me.

I understand why Cadent have done things this way - they have to upgrade the piping upto the meter so doing that for a meter that is internally is harder than relocating the meter externally and then running some copper piping back into the property - particularly as it is a close made up of about 60 maisonettes.

I wondered if, had I known about these works in advance, I could have objected to them doing it this way and insisted the meter stay in situ internally.

Also, I wonder if they had to get permission from the freeholder beforehand as, if so, I would have expected them to have notified me in advance.

Bit of a strange one which I thought I would post here to see if anyone has had a similar experience.
    Attached Files

I find it rather comical. In view of improving the EPC rating, I tried to get a gas supply connected to a maisonette of mine recently. The local supplier would not do anything without a form signed by the freeholder, who of course ignores my letters. I had to re-let it with the storage heaters.

Comment

Originally posted by LZBash View Post
      I understand why Cadent have done things this way...
      Basic laziness, and not having to get permissions or disrupt the housholders too much.
      It seems to be becoming pretty common for companies to run new gas pipes externally.
      I liken it to electricians who run new wire in trunking rather than in/behind the walls and floors, because it's easier/quicker/cheaper and they don't have to make-good afterwards.

That looks a right mess on the outside of the property. (It's a house not the Pompidou centre).

It would be less obtrusive if painted white, probably best to do that while it's new.
      Of course you'll have to get all the flat owners to agree, but I doubt you'll have a problem with that.

Why couldn't they just renew/connect to where the gas entered the property already?
      What's happened to the existing internal pipes?

Personally I'd have prefered galvanised steel at low level where it's more likely to get knocked/damaged, but apparently copper is accepted these days.
      (I have one external gas run at window ledge level from the internal meter to the boiler and that's galvanised steel. It would have had to go through an internal wall that's 2-1/2 feet thick solid stone so it was easier to run outside and drill through two 'normal' brick exterior walls).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X