EICR (Again) - What is actually required for a “Satisfactory” report?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EICR (Again) - What is actually required for a “Satisfactory” report?

Just had a mandatory EICR carried out, arranged by the managing agent I should have ditched by now - as expected, it was “Unsatisfactory” and there are numerous C2 issues for which I’m being asked to fork out a big chunk of money. Their approach is that if it doesn’t meet all the 18th edition legislation it must be made to do so.

The property in question was entirely rewired from scratch in 2010 and an EIC was provided then, so everything met the relevant legislation at that point. I’m now being told that I must replace the consumer unit for a metal one, fit RCD additional protection for all sockets etc.

Are these requirements all genuinely retrospective (eg IP rating of enclosure “not adequate” etc)?

I would get the property inspected again by somebody who knows the rules

a home does NOT have to meet the requirements of the 18th edition

inspect to 18th edition and use of C3 to mark issues that were installed to a previous version of the regulations

what Do you have C2’s for ?

a plastic fuseboard is not a C2

Comment

Thank you, that was my understanding. Issues as below (not clear what the bonding problems are without seeing them, as I know this was previously carried out as a separate job):

Comment

Something does not add up

1. You had a 'rewire' in 2010
        2. This 'rewire' failed to provide RCD protection for sockets liable to supply equipment outdoors- this bit started to arrive in the wiring regulations in 1992.
        3. The IP rating of the consumer unit means the previous contractor left holes that stuff (like fingers) can enter the enclosure- this can often be fixed with silcone etc.

Have a look at your EIC supplied previously- what does it say about gas bonding?

What make is the existing consumer unit?
        You can often get RCBO's for the recent ones, as long as it is in good order there is no need to replace it.

Comment

Something doesn't add up IMHO

Could you post a photo of the fuseboard?

Comment

Either this was not rewired in 2010 or whoever did it should be the person you should be questioning rather than the inspector, everything being true in the report (ie there is no RCD protection etc) then the report seems reasonable. You are not being told you need to change the consumer unit just because it is not metal, there are maybe a few things I would have C3'd maybe instead of C2 however the result will be the same it requires a new consumer unit...

Who did you get to do the rewire in 2010? do you have building regs compliance certificate?

Comment

Thanks all, I’m now looking for the paperwork from when the rewire was done - certain everything including the CU was replaced then as the previous wiring all dated from the ‘60s! There’s a tenant there and I’m 175 miles away, so can’t get a photo right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Real_Politik View Post
                Thanks all, I’m now looking for the paperwork from when the rewire was done - certain everything including the CU was replaced then as the previous wiring all dated from the ‘60s! There’s a tenant there and I’m 175 miles away, so can’t get a photo right now.
                Could you not get the tenant to send you a photo or 2?

Comment

OK, now found the EIC papers and the details of what was installed:

7A37531C-2464-40FA-BA75-5DEC02F3AFF9.jpegBBB2EB6F-2282-46AB-9AA7-DAA9C6C316E6.jpeg

Comment

EIC test results:

9AAD70B4-5DE4-4B19-8A36-968FBAE68960.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Real_Politik View Post

That certainly muddies the water a bit and suggests some of the installation is RCD protected and some isn't - the lights not being protected and this only became mandatory with the 18th edition. This means your lighting circuits should be given a C3 IMHO

I'd still like to see a photo of the fuseboard.

Comment

Also, can you post the schedule of test results from the EICR you have received?

Comment

EICR test page:

Comment

Theres something very odd going on here.

BS3871 breakers were superceded by BS 60898 in about 1994 - so the "rewire" in 2010 doesn't add up

Also the EICR suggests there is RCD protection but no test results

VERY ODD

Really need to see a photo of the fuseboard

Comment

Looking over the documents, the rewire was actually done in 2007, not 2010. The old fuse board was most definitely replaced then (as was everything else - the place was stripped back to a shell after not having had any work whatsoever done since the 1960s). Aiming to get a photo of the consumer unit.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Possible delay in Gas Safety check
                                by Ozzie11
                                Dear all,

I am a first time landlord. I wanted to check that is it an absolute requirement that the CP12 check must be done within 365 days of the last certificate, or is there some flexibility say if it is done a few days after the certificate expires? Does the gas engineer refuse to do...
                                17-04-2021, 23:53 PM
                              • Reply to Possible delay in Gas Safety check
                                by Neelix
                                Just get it booked in. Most GSR's are very busy (as are sparks) so as long as you have it all arranged I can't imagine that there will be any issues
                                18-04-2021, 10:05 AM
                                by jpkeates
                                The flexibility works the other way, you can have the test done earlier and retain the same expiry anniversary.

The requirement is absolute (it's like an MOT).
                                No one will decline to carry out a test if there's a gap.
                                18-04-2021, 09:16 AM
                                by DPT57
                                It is an absolute requirement. The gas engineer won't refuse to do it. I doubt the HSE would be interested if the tenant complained, but you may encounter problems if you ever need to use s21...
                                18-04-2021, 09:16 AM
                              • Reply to GSC expiry question
                                by Stew
                                The same is true from many gas testers, I get mine done early and then contact the company again on the actual date of the expiry and they generate a new certificate to keep the original expiry date. All totally above board it's just the software they use does not allow them to forward date a certificate....
                                15-04-2021, 19:13 PM
                              • GSC expiry question
                                by leasee123
                                Going to do a gas safe certificate soon for my property but the engineer mentioned that the expiry will be exactly 1 year from when he does it. However, I am getting it done about a month earleir than expiry. I told the engineer this but he said there is no way to change the date to get the additional...
                                13-04-2021, 20:42 PM
                                by jpucng62
                                no but you can change your gas guy to someone who can comply with the law.
                                15-04-2021, 16:05 PM
                                by leasee123
                                Yeah he knows the rules it is just that his device does not allow him to use custom dates. Anyway I got this done so lost out on a month (better than having to re-organise for another date).

I assume I can not show last years certificate to get the original expiry next year?
                                14-04-2021, 22:45 PM
                              • Cadent Gas Meter Relocation
                                by LZBash
                                Would be interested on thoughts on the following.

I own a first floor leasehold maisonette with the gas meter located inside the kitchen.

Cadent, this week, are upgrading the gas mains pipes in the street and, as part of these works, have relocated the gas meter from the kitchen...
                                14-04-2021, 00:17 AM
                              • Reply to Cadent Gas Meter Relocation
                                by nukecad
                                Basic laziness, and not having to get permissions or disrupt the housholders too much.
                                It seems to be becoming pretty common for companies to run new gas pipes externally.
                                I liken it to electricians who run new wire in trunking rather than in/behind the walls and floors, because it's easier/quicker/cheaper...
                                14-04-2021, 09:21 AM
                              Working...
                              X